The videos are reportedly real stories, however most are either heavily fictionalized or outright fake. Many are sensational and oftentimes the titles and/or thumbnails can be inaccurate.
Compare to My Story Animated.
ACTUALLY HAPPENED provides examples of:
- Death by Childbirth: In "I Found A Letter In The Attic. It Was From My Biological Mother", it's revealed that the narrator's biological mother, a woman named Alice, died of postnatal complications a couple of months after giving birth to her.
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: This is the secret in My Grandfather Revealed Our Family Secret Before Dying. The girl's paternal grandfather is actually her father. Her 20-something year old mother fell in love with her early 50s professor. The father divorced his wife to marry his younger girlfriend, however his girlfriend left him for his 18-year old son.
- Good Stepmother: The narrator's from "I Found A Letter In The Attic. It Was From My Biological Mother" definitely qualifies. She deeply loves her stepdaughter and doesn't treat her any differently from her biological children. In fact, the narrator didn't learn she wasn't her biological mother until she was almost sixteen. Though considering she started out as her nanny, it's not that surprising they have such a good relationship.
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: My Parents Left Me To Die, But I Survived And Became A Star is loosely based on Jackie Chan's life. It gets both China and Japan mixed up.
- Most Writers Are Adults: A lot of the stories don't read like they're about teenage characters. For example, I Faked Pregnancy To Get Good Grades At School would make more sense if the girl was several years older than fourteen.
- My Secret Pregnancy: In My Sister Behaved Strange And Then Disappeared, the narrator's sister Molly turns out to have been hiding the fact that she was pregnant, even from her family and boyfriend.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Samantha's mother in "My Mom Taught Me To Manipulate Men For Money" normally gets passive-aggressive when she's upset at somebody. So when she hears from her mom's coworkers that she (the mom) had been openly argumentative for most of the day, she realizes something's not quite right.
- Sadist Teacher: "My Teacher Bullied Me. I REVENGED!" is about a boy whose math teacher constantly bullied and belittled him. Eventually, he managed to record her doing so and get her not just fired, but blacklisted from teaching in public school ever again.
- Second Love: Evelyn's in "I Found A Letter In The Attic. It Was From My Biological Mother" was her husband's first love. After she died from postnatal complications after giving birth to their daughter (Evelyn), her widower hired a nanny to help care for his baby daughter. Then he fell in love with the nanny, and got remarried to her.
- Teacher/Student Romance: My Grandfather Revealed Our Family Secret Before Dying is the Child of Forbidden Love between a college student and her teacher. It was a short-lived relationship because her mother fell for her step-father, her biological father's own son, instead.
- Teen Pregnancy:
- In I Faked Pregnancy To Get Good Grades At School, a fourteen year old is Mistaken for Pregnant and this somehow made her the most popular girl at school. Reality Ensues when a social worker gets involved because of her very young age at the time of the pregnancy.
- Exaggerated in How I Got Pregnant At 12, which is about a 19 year old who got pregnant at 12.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Happens in "My Mom Taught Me To Manipulate Men For Money". Narrator Samantha's mother was a manipulative, misandristic quasi-gold digger who raised her daughter to be the same way. Then Samantha starts dating a boy named Timothy, genuinely falling in love with him and growing out of her ways because of it. After that, her mom starts dating Timothy's dad, and goes through the same change.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: The titular dad in "My Dad Went To Las Vegas And Came Back Married" was never a handsome man, but his deceased first wife was quite attractive.
- Wicked Stepmother:
- In I'm A Slave Of My Stepmother, the stepmother Julia asks Lucy do chores and babysit for her.
- In My Stepmother Hated Me So I Had To Move Out, Monica's stepmother is jealous of her and makes the entire family turn against her. Monica eventually moves in with her grandparents.