Let's look at what Quells do:
- They are infinite use (implying that they contain unimaginable amounts of power)
- They can cause mental instability after prolonged exposure
- Side effects of handling Quells also include becoming Made of Explodium and Baleful Polymorph
- The most dangerous of them is eventually destroyed by a steel sword (radiation can be blocked by things like concrete and lead)
Now let's look at the Desert Megalith, where The Egg (the most dangerous Quell) was found:
- It is smack dab in the middle of nowhere—was it purposely built there, or did it drain all life surrounding the area?
- Everything about that place screams "DANGER. KEEP OUT. DO NOT DISTURB ITS CONTENTS." and the Egg itself is kept in a steel box that looks like a coffin, and tubes are connected to the box either to drain energy out of it, or to pump something into it.