- Tet doesn't understand enough of human physiology to control memories at a neuron level (alter neurons to add/remove memories). Tet merely has a scanning device and construction apparatus powerful enough to recreate Jack Harper atom by atom simply by recording where each atom is and what type of atom it is. This would give a Jack Harper/Victoria with all his/her original memories as all the neurons in the brain are in the same position. Tet does not have the understanding of humans yet to grow and human from a single cell, it simply apes an atom configuration it can see.
- The memory oddities result from Tet using simpler methods on the copies (or original) such as torture or brainwashing techniques (see Clockwork Orange). This technique may cause certain memories to be suppressed but may not be perfect in very strongly held memories such as that of Julia. Like Farscape once said: "brainwashing, doesn't get the tough stains out". Matti 23
- A WMG further down suggests that Jack and Victoria were having an affair. Maybe this induced memories of her with Jack to survive the process and lead to her being more willing to betray Jack when she found Julia.
- That's Nightmare Fuel. Imaging being tortured like that every time one copy is created.
- Maybe the drones are there to keep an eye on the Tet, which may represent a construction, energy harvesting and storage machine as well as to help with the harvesting process. Tet may wish to be free and needs a workforce that can a)Build and maintain machines vital to its continued functioning and b)Fight and defeat the drones when the time comes. Tet isn't here just for the water, that's found in many places other than earth. Tet is after humans so that it can liberate itself.
- This may explain why there are so many drones within the interior of the Tet but supposedly couldn't spare a single drone to guard their hydrorigs. They are keeping an eye on Tet and are starting to get suspicious. It also explains why a ship full of robots has a atmosphere around its core and why there are so many unused Jack clones within the ship. The repair of the drones is a facade to ensure the drones don't become sure what's going on and just blow Tet's core away (possibly replacing with a new, more compliant one). Other moves that may have tipped of the drones are: sending only drones to attack earth when an army of armed copies is ready to go and sending drones out as they are destroyed and refusing to repair them. Matti 23
- Maybe the Tet can't make new drones, only dissassemble the ones its got. It would also explain why it keeps making the same clones over and over....it only has cloning facilities, it doesn't have drone manufacturing plants. Or perhaps it can't recreate the drone's armor plating, explaining why 166 continues to be not repaired while it can supply ships and armor and weapons to its clones...their ingenuity makes up for their lack of armor, while the drones require the advanced armor to make up for their lack of creativity.
Giant artificial intelligence going through space, using captured lifeforms to create engineered troops to help wipe out the rest of their species, god complex...
- You forgot that it's main tool is a dude named Jack Harper.
- More likely, it's SAL 9000 evolved. Its avatar is named Sally, after all.
- It could even justify this by saying it was increasing the life of its masters by cloning them many times, then losing track of which one the original was. Oops!
- And before completely destroying them and collecting the "fuel," the Tet sent drones in all directions to find another "fuel source." One drone discovered the signals humans have been sending into the depths of space, and the Tet set out to get more "fuel."
- Adding to that once a Worker!Jack met a Worker!Victoria, leading to a Speak in Unison moment "What are you doing here? Why aren't you back at the platform?"
After some questioning as to why the tetrahedron was doing all the bootstrapping this mix of wild guessing and fridge brilliance occurred The spaceship is shown to have many different hulls the outer hull contains Attack Drones and probably other industrial devices while the inner hull contains an atmosphere and cloning equipment as well as the core where a massive computer floats ominously. The core was probably launched first and grew the inner and outer hull using materials gathered from space. The water collectors might have some power generating capability but their real purpose is to xenoform the earth then clone the Tet's original builders.
It's stated that Vika does not ask questions, and her self-imposed job seems to be in preventing Jack from asking any of his own. She does this by keeping him working through the day and Distracted by the Sexy at night. Furthermore, she also seems to know exactly who Julia is, as seen with her trying to poision Julia in the medbay and in shouting "It was always her!" when Jack flies out with her. Furthermore, she seems more terrified to leave the safe house, despite her own background as an astronaut and seeing everything on the cameras. We also know Jack's memory wipe wasn't complete.
So what if Vika remembered fragments of her old life? Not anything as pleasant as a beloved spouse, but remembered their capture, being experimented on? Maybe being Forced to Watch while "Sally" invaded Earth with her clone army and that devastating war that followed.
And then not being able to die, but being cloned, sent to a ruined Earth, and told to pick up the pieces. There is no fighting back. She and Jack probably tried and it failed - several times. Even if Sally could be beaten, more like her would come to take her place. Suicide? Sally just clones them again, sends them back with the same job. Earth is a polluted ruin. With her cities gone, her population decimated, and her resources plundered, humanity will never build cities or touch the stars again. Reminders of Earth That Was like books, the Super Bowl, the potted plant...it's just a painful reminder of failure, of what's been lost and what can't be rebuilt. Humanity is dying a long, slow death, and the only thing Vika can do is try to persuade Jack to speed it along. The Despair Event Horizon was passed about a dozen clonings ago, and she can just barely put on a brave front for Jack's sake.
But the thing is—Sally is dumb. She was built to fly a ship between stars, not make first contact or run a planetary invasion, and she only knows how to use her own cargo by reading the manuals. Sally doesn't understand human behavior because she probably doesn't understand her own creators' behavior. The drones act stupidly because Sally can't directly control them; she just uploads a program and turns them loose. She can only disable the copter when it's actually inside the ship. And it even explains why the clones have fragments of their past lives: Sally isn't a biologist, and she's using the cloning equipment in a way that the makers never intended. So she has this plan that works in broad strokes, but it keeps getting fouled up by the little things which she doesn't understand well enough to plan for, like the clones of Harper going rogue, or the human resistance building a nuke.