Yandere: I Love You So I Want to Kill You is a horror visual novel.
Oda Subaru is left home alone for a week while his parents are away at work. He decides to take advantage of his time alone to have sex with as many women as he can. When he starts becoming more intimate with Miyauchi Saki, his classmate and childhood friend, as well as Kikushita Yuumi, his homeroom teacher, and Saito Maika, an underclassman, things start taking a dark turn for him. How will things turn out for him in the end?
Yandere: I Love You So I Want to Kill You contains examples of:
- Antagonist Title: The Yanderes after Subaru are, naturally, the antagonists.
- Art-Style Dissonance: The artwork is very bright and cheery. However, don't be fooled by it. This is supposed to surprise you with the dark path it eventually takes.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Subaru's wish for the visual novel is to be able to have sex without his parents to interfere. He gets what he wants... and gets a bunch of Yandere girls as a result.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Miyauchi Saki, Kikushita Yuumi, and Saito Maika, the three Love Interests of Oda Subaru, are the titular Yanderes who torment him and each other to get him for themselves.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: All three girls act like this at least once. They hate seeing Subaru being with another girl and try to intimidate their rival(s) into leaving Subaru alone.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Averted. Some of the Bad Ends and a few scenes prior to it involve the Yandere love interests forcing themselves onto Subaru. Although he admits it's pleasurable, he still doesn't fully consent to the act. Because this is a horror story, the assaults are played fully seriously and the perpetrators are clearly meant to be unstable.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: The girls get these when going into Yandere mode.
- Explicit Content: One major warning regarding this visual novel is the content. There are several scenes containing graphic sex and violence. Because of the former, videos on YouTube have either cut completely or blurred out the scenes. Viewer discretion regarding the violent scenes is advised.
- Gamebooks: Two options are available for every choice. These choices will determine whose endings Subaru will endure.
- If I Can't Have You...: Just about every Worst Ending has the chosen girl killing Subaru when he rejects her.
- In Saki's bad ending, she breaks into Subaru's house and kills him with her father's chainsaw because she knows that he had been having sex with other girls, hating him for betraying her.
- In Yuumi's bad ending, she stabs Subaru to death with a knife when she hears him say that he doesn't want to be with her anymore.
- Karma Meter: Subaru's actions affect what kind of ending he receives. His character doesn't really change throughout the story with these choices.
- Love Makes You Crazy: All of the love interests start going crazy because their feelings for Subaru grow.
- Ms. Fanservice: All of the love interests show off their bodies during the sex scenes.
- Multiple Endings: There are two endings available for each girl, a good end and a Worst End. Ironically, the Worst Ends are the ones in which Subaru lives, while the girl dies. Other than that, there are two bad ends and a bonus ending where Subaru goes on a date with a fourth girl. In traditional Yandere fashion, Saki stalks them and ends up killing the girl.
- Optional Sexual Encounter: Multiple times during the story, after each girls initial sexual encounter (which will always happen regardless of choice), you will have a choice to have sex with one of the three girls. Whether you choose to accept it or not will affect the ending and the relationship with her. Either way, having sex with the girl or not will cause her to become more obsessed with Subaru.
- Psychotic Love Triangle: Subaru with Saki, Yuumi, and Maika. All three love interests are insane women who want to be with Subaru, and will kill if it means finally having him all to themselves.
- Sailor Fuku: Saki and Maika both wear pink versions of this. The only difference is the color of the ribbon on their blouses.
- Switching P.O.V.: The endings switch from Subaru's point of view to the selected girl's. If she kills him, it makes sense to hear what she does to him afterwards.
- Yandere: All three love interests, each exceedingly worse than the last. They initially start off as sweet and innocent, some more than others. They're happy to have sex with Subaru whenever the opportunity arises and want to spend as much time with him as possible. Two of them even make Subaru's meals as a way of winning over his heart. However, after they have sex with him, they become clingy, possessive and jealous of the other girls. Their sexual encounters only add more fuel to the fire as their feelings for him make them increasingly more unstable and violent. In some of the endings, they will kill Subaru for either not being faithful to them or rejecting them.