The game takes place in the kingdom of Segunda, where the crown prince is traditionally expected to choose his bride during his twentieth birthday celebration. The Player Character's mother, the Duchess of Florentia, has been training her for this opportunity her entire life. The player can decide her personality and whether or not to behave as a well-bred lady should.
A sequel is currently in development. There is a playable demo here.
The Rose of Segunda contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Frederique calls the Player Character 'Minette.'
- Altar Diplomacy: You can choose to have this with the Prince.
- Arranged Marriage: It is noted multiple times that the King is the one who is really choosing the Prince's bride. Although, in one ending the Prince can defy his father and marry the PC anyway.
- Berserk Button: You can choose to react this way when some nobles get into a fight with Frederique.
- Gay Option: Sofia and Charlotte's routes act as this.
- The Ingenue: Charlotte is this, which causes her to be the butt of many of the other lady's jokes.
- Inter-Class Romance: Bastien's route.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Arguably, Frederique in every route. It's especially evident in the loveless Prince route and Sofia's route.
- Nature Lover: Sofia is very fond of plants. She will also approve of the PC choosing to discuss the bee's vital role in gardens and send her a book on gardening later.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: A key to earning the court's approval. All of the other ladies (excluding Charlotte) are doing this throughout the Prince's birthday celebrations.
- Secret Character: Frederique's route is unlocked after romancing all other characters.
- Women Are Delicate: Gaining the court's approval requires invoking this perception. You can also play with this throughout the game by fainting or pretending to faint.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Charlotte's route involves the PC helping her confidence grow.