Perseverance is a horror/drama visual novel about survival and redemption revolving around two different characters whose paths will cross in the middle of horrific events.
In Part 1 you play as Jack Cutter, a father who is struggling to keep his family together. Hes a go-to guy in his hometown of Grey Ville. Research conducted in the nearby military base gives the town a mysterious aura. Residents prefer to stay away from it. Things take an unexpected turn when one of experiments goes horribly wrong and the area is quarantined.
Meanwhile a mysterious woman chases a fugitive. Her superiors expect her to fulfill her orders as usual... but they aren't telling her everything. The person shes after is more than what she appears to be.
Soon both Jack and the mysterious agent will find themselves in the middle of a crisis that will change them forever.
Perserverance contains examples of:
- Angry Guard Dog: Subverted, the dog Jack finds in the woods is far from friendly at first, but his aggression turns out to be caused by a mixture of pain and fear,and once Jack earns his trust and helps him, he turns out to really be a Big, Friendly Dog
- Awkward Father Daughter Bonding Activity: Jack initially intends to take his daughter with him hunting, he later finds out that Hope does not want to go.
- Deadly Lunge: Jane twice.
- Don't Tell Mama: Hope admits she intends to sneak out of bed to watch her favourite movie during her telephone conversation with Jack, and asks Jack not to tell her mom.
- Drives Like Crazy: Natalie towards the end.
- Dysfunctional Family: Jack and Natalie's relationship is strained, although they do care about each other, and even though Hope is close to both parents she is clearly hurt by some of Jacks careless remarks and behaviour too.
- Dying as Yourself: According to Jack Jane appears to have a brief moment of clarity before dying if the player chooses to shoot her a second time.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: The dog Jack rescues starts growling before the threat is even visible
- Heel Realization: The whole narration of the story is this in a way for Jack. More specifically during their argument Jack shouts that if Natalie had given him a son maybe he wouldn't be taking their daughter out hunting. How quick he takes it back is up to the player, but it's especially cruel since their first child Sam was a boy who died either before/during or shortly after birth. Worse Hope overhears him and is understandably hurt as well, believing that Jack would have preferred a son instead of her.
- Horror Hunger: The infectees becomes victims of this.
- Human Weapon: Apparently what the military were working on.
- Jack of All Trades: The aptly named Jack is the local odd-job man, Natalie comments that its a good thing the old, run-down town always has something needing fixing.
- Mercy Kill: Is an option towards the end of the game.
- Mysterious Stranger: The Agent and to a lesser extent Jane qualify.
- Nice Guy: Bob .
- Parents as People: Jack and Natalie are each flawed and fighting their own demons, but despite the strained relationship between them and Jacks' at times thoughtless behaviour, they still care for each other and love their daughter a lot,and are doing the best they can.
- Patient Zero: Jane
- Pet the Dog: Jack saving the abandoned dog in the woods.
- Playing with Syringes The Military base is guilty of this, with horrible consequences for everyone.
- Posthumous Sibling: Sam was Natalie and Jack's first child together, Hope is their second child, but Sam died either during Natalie's pregnancy or shortly after his birth (the details of exactly what happened are left ambiguous).
- Slasher Smile Jane responds with this if Jack tries to talk with her after incapacitating her.
- Technically Living Zombie: The initial test subject and those infected after are still alive, but they don't act very human anymore
- The Alcoholic: Jack has shades of this, although its down to player choice in game.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: At one point Hope angrily accuses Jack of only ever wanting to spend time with her if its something HE wants to do.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Jack drunkenly laments that he is repeating his fathers mistakes with his own family.
- Quitting to Get Married: Natalie quit pursuing her medical career any further to settle in with Jack in his small hometown.
- Undying Loyalty: The dog Jack rescues races to the defence of his suspected previous master despite having been tied to a tree, abandoned, and left to die by him. After, despite being badly injured himself he gently licks the dying mans face.
- Virus Victim Symptoms: Early symptoms appear to include confusion, pallor, memory loss, slow/stumbling walk feeling cold, hungry, and irritable, vomiting, and high fever.