No, Thank You!!! is an adult BL/Bara Visual Novel. It was first released in Japan on June 28, 2013 by parade, one of the child companies of ClockUp. On February 27, 2015, MangaGamer released an official English translation of the game.
The game features four main love interests, each with multiple endings, an insane total of 3000+ CGs (all drawn by the artist Hamashima Shigeo), and a "No, Thank You!!!" button which gives players a unique way to affect the game's story.
Our story begins when our protagonist jumps in front of a car to protect a man about to be run over, but gets hit and loses his memory while doing so. Kouichi, the man he saved, owns a jazz bar called sótano. He decides to set his savior up with a job at the bar and a place to live until he gets his memories back. Our protagonist is delighted at the setup, and depending on the route chosen will pursue one of the other employees at the bar. Due to his memory loss, he was unable to recall his own name, so the staff at sótano, Hiroyuki Akiyama, Ryu Kurosawa, and Maki, after much deliberation, give him the name "Haru."
Haru learns about the bar and its people in the first four chapters of the game. It turns out that sótano actually doubles as a detective agency behind the scenes, and with Kouichi at the helm they try to solve problems that the police are too afraid to touch, usually dealing with Yakuza. Haru must now attempt to work as an apprentice bartender, help with investigations, and of course, seduce one of the four main staff of sótano. But just who is Haru exactly?
As a side note, character tropes should go to the characters page.
Warning: The tropes below contain MAJOR spoilers for the game.
No, Thank You!!! provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Yufumi's mom, Sorato's mom, and Haru's grandpa to an extreme extent.
- Accidental Misnaming: Haru does it constantly with Hiroyuki (though YMMV as to how accidental it is).
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Hiroyuki and Kouichi's POV scenes.
- Amnesiac Hero / Identity Amnesia: The game is set in motion when Haru loses his memory. Subverted. Eventually it is revealed that Haru still had most of his memories regarding his identity, but thought that feigning idiocy would be better for his mission.
- Artistic Age: Haru and Hiroyuki look like they're 17 years old, when in fact they're actually both 22.
- Art Shift: Certain scenes and actions are presented in a Super-Deformed style.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Yamato, a Yakuza with a mean looking face, is caught feeding cats in the middle of the night.
- Carpet of Virility: Maki and Kouichi with the default body hair settings.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Even the boys you can't pursue are pretty. This is also partially subverted by the inclusion of bara characters among the dating options.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The game was promoted as a comedic BL on official sites. Sure, the first four chapters delivered, but by Chapter 5, things begin to get dark.
- Chekhov's Gag: In the first chapter, the sótano staff tries to get Haru to suggest a name for them to call him by, only for Haru to come up with things like Corn-on-the-Cob, Bean Daifuku, and Pools. Those things are the only happy memories that Haru can recall from his life before arriving at sótano.
- Cute Kitten: Eyebrows, a.k.a Zombie.
- Double Standard: Despite shamelessly groping one of his male coworkers on the previous day, Haru has some more self control when he meets Kaori.Haru: I may be an idiot, but I have some common sense when it comes to women. I would never touch a woman's boobs right after I met her.
- Downer Ending: All of the routes end with either Haru dying, his love interest dying, or Haru just leaving them with little chance of ever returning. Though some of them can be considered bittersweet at best.
- Erotic Asphyxiation: Happens at the end of Kouichi's route.
- Excited Show Title!: Even more excited than most!!!
- Fate Worse than Death: Kouichi and Ryu are implied to go through this in one of the Other Ends.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: We have Haru (Sanguine), Hiroshi (Leukine), Ryu (Choleric), Kouichi (Melancholic), and Maki (Phlegmatic).
- Greater-Scope Villain: Haru's Grandfather, who is responsible for setting the plot and Haru's main issues in motion.
- Happily Adopted: Yufumi in Ryu's True Ending.
- Hint System: You may use this after getting one ending.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Every love interest to some extent... except Maki. Hiroyuki in particular screams like a banshee!
- Interrupted Intimacy: Happens in Hiroyuki's, Ryu's, and Maki's routes.
- Male Gaze: Courtesy of Maki's buff body. Haru occasionally drops comments on how appealing Maki's chest is.
- Manipulative Bastard: Haru for the majority of the story. Ryu and Kouichi also have their moments.
- Meaningful Echo: In Maki's route, Haru chastises Maki for not saying anything to Tojo, Maki's last living childhood friend, when he was about to leave and return to the syndicate. Maki later repeats those words to him when Haru was about to leave and return to his organization.Haru: What's wrong with saying 'Don't die, it'd make me sad'? Are you too embarrassed or something?Maki: I'd be sad if you died.
- The Mole: Haru.
- Multiple Endings: The game has thirteen endings, plus many more untimely ends.
- Ryu's Bad Ending 1: Haru tells Ryu about his younger sisters death, and Haru dies from bleeding.
- Ryu's Bad Ending 2: Ryu knows about his younger sisters situation, breaks down, and tells Haru to kill him. Haru does.
- Ryu's Good Ending: Ryu asks Haru to liberate his younger sister, and to take care of Yufumi.
- Hiroyuki's Bad Ending 1: Haru is unable save Yamato, Haru kills Shindo, and Haru dies from blood loss.
- Hiroyuki's Bad Ending 2: Haru kills Hiroyuki.
- Hiroyuki's Good Ending: Haru leaves Hiroyuki, says that he will come again.
- Maki's Bad Ending 1: Haru has a fight with Maki, and Haru lets Maki kill him.
- Maki's Bad Ending 2: Haru has a fight with Maki, and Haru shoots Maki.
- Maki's Good Ending: Harua has a fight with Maki, and then takes the laptop.
- Kouichi's Bad Ending: Haru kills Kouichi with the drug.
- Kouichi's Good Ending: Haru drugs Kouichi—but just to let him sleep, saying that "We Will Meet Again".
- Other Ending 1: Hiroyuki dies, Harus true identity is exposed, and he runs away.
- Other Ending 2: The Manufacturing Place is found, and Haru runs away.
- New Game+: A second playthrough on will grant you more of Haru's internal thoughts and some extra scenes, particularly with his chauffeur Narimiya.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Haru and Maki.
- Plot Device All Along: In Ryu's route, Haru makes Ryu childish I.O.U. coupons that he can exchange to make Haru do anything Ryu wants him to do. Haru gives them to Ryu whenever he cooks food for him. Ryu accepts them but rarely ever uses them. It turns out that Ryu has been saving up those coupons so he can interrogate Haru about the whereabouts of his sister and make him answer truthfully about it, because he did say that he'd do anything.
- Press X to Die: One one hand, if you press the "No, Thank You!!!" button at wrong certain points on all guys' but Hiroyuki's routes, you'll get their bad endings.
- Press X to Not Die: On the other hand, if you don't touch the "No, Thank You!!!" button at two certain points in each guy's route, you'll get their bad endings.
- Private Investigator: Kouichi. With members of sótano as his helpers.
- Sex Comedy: Lots of them.Haru: Now they're ass-boobs!Haru: Let me explain! This is an extremely rare specimen which you can tittyfuck and hotdog at the same time, and even penetrate if you want!
- Surprise Incest + Luke, You Are My Father: Played straight but then averted with Kouchi's route.
- Stalker with a Crush: Takkun.
- Trapped in Villainy: Haru.
- Unreliable Narrator: In the initial play through a lot of Haru's thoughts are obscured from the narration so the player won't suspect him of anything. After finishing a route you will be able to unlock a spoiler mode which allows the player to view the previously skipped over internal commentary, as well as extra scenes.
- Wham Episode: "Chapter 05: The Summer Vacation Finishes".
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Happens twice in Kouichi's route and Haru takes full advantage of it.
- Yakuza: A good portion of the story revolves around them.