Oh I heard you calling out for me and everything felt right
Just give it time
We have so much time."
Best friends and Tara and Maddie run the popular paranormal vlog "Taranormal" which is incredibly successful. Then on the eve of a month long trip Maddie tells Tara she's quitting. Before she can move on with her life she first has to film one last episode in the village of Eysenfeld. Brought their by one of their fans, named Morgan, they're promised undeniable proof of the supernatural. While they've heard that before Tara is sure that this one will be the one that finally proves it.
Heart of The Woods provides examples of the following:
- Abusive Parents: Evelyn doesn't seem to care much for Morgan, except as her next vessel.
- Agent Mulder / Agent Scully: At the beginning of the game Tara is a firm believer in the paranormal and Maddie doesn't believe any of it. Maddie starts to believe over the course of the game.
- Back from the Dead
- Came Back Strong: Maddie comes back to life as the Fairy Queen.
- Bittersweet Ending: Two of the Multiple Endings fall into this category.
- Ending 1: Geladura returns to her true Fairy Queen form, and Maddie and Abigal are given normal, living human bodies, but Morgan sacrifices her self to kill Evelyn, resulting in Tara being completely emotionally devastated and deppressed on the train ride home. Maddie blames herself for this due to hesitating to kill Evelyn earlier, and thinks Tara hates her now, but Abigal assures her that she doesn't.
- Ending 2: Geladura sacrifices herself to kill Evelyn. Because of this, Maddie is now stuck as the Fairy's Queen thanks to the agreement they made earlier, and her, Abigal and the Faries vanish from sight without even getting to say goodbye to Tara and Morgan. Tara goes into a grieving spiral and eventually informs her fan base and Maddie's family of her "Death", with the latter breaking off contact with her,while Morgan blames herself for all of this. Eventually they move out of Maddie's house due to painful memories, and the epilogue has Morgan getting accepted by Tara's family and the two of them getting married while Morgan internally thanks Maddie, Abigal and Geladura for making this possible.
- The Casanova: Tara has a bit of reputation and is hitting on people a few minutes after meeting them.
- Cast Full of Gay: All four of the main characters are lesbians.
- Childhood Friends: Maddie and Tara met in high school and became friends than.
- Covert Pervert: Morgan seems like the innocent quiet type, but is pretty experienced. In the optional adult patch, we find out that Abigail fits this trope pretty hard as well.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Abigail
- Cute Mute: Abigail can't talk to living people so she just talks through hand motions and pointing at things.
- Family of Choice: A major theme of the game.
- Long-Lost Relative: Abigail is Morgan's ancestor.
- The Lost Woods: The woods around Eysenfeld are easy to get lost in, but if you have the area you want to go to in mind you'll almost always get there. Also returning back home never takes more the fifteen minutes.
- Multiple Endings
- Nature Spirit: Morgan has seen one in the woods around the town and seeing it in person is what makes Maddie start believing.
- Really Gets Around: Tara is stated to sleep around a good amount, mostly with fans, although she's totally fine with that. Morgan also has slept with most of the women in the town after she was outed but she doesn't feel as good about it.
- Rightful King Returns: In the best ending Geladura returns as the Fairy Queen.
- Snow Means Death: The snow always gets heavier during the worst possible times, and results in Maddie's death after getting lured out into the woods.
- Take Me Instead: Abigail gave herself up in the yearly sacrifice to save her sister. Her sister was more than happy to let her do it.
- Talking Animal: Morgan claims that her cat can talk.
- Vlog Series: Taranormal seems to be a mix of this and a traditional ghost hunting show.
- Will-o'-the-Wisp: The first paranormal thing they see in Eysenfeld. Maddie is not impressed.