For as long as the girl called Rosa can remember, Mother has guided her. So when Mother tells Rosa that her employer, the mysterious and beautiful Marquis Guilleme Michel de Gul, is responsible for the death of her best friend Catherine, of course Rosa takes Mothers words to heart. Mother says the Marquis is inhuman. Mother says the Marquis must be punished. Rosa just needs to find out where Guilleme is weakest, and strike without hesitance. But Mothers voice sounds so cruel, and the Marquiss sounds so sweet. Who is the real monster, when seen in clear light?
Set in a romantic yet shadowy 18th century France, Cupid, by developer Fervent, is a fascinating visual novel of horror, mystery, and romance. Its most notable feature is the character of Mother, who serves as an interface between the player and Rosa. Mother can tell Rosa what to do, but that doesnt mean Rosa will always follow her instructions to the letter. And given Mothers caustic personality, its entirely possible than Rosa may start getting ideas of her own
This Visual Novel provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Mother. She's also your player character.
- Also Guilleme, more in some endings than others.
- Ambiguously Brown: A couple of society ladies speculate that Guilleme might be of Persian or Indian extraction, but no-one's really sure.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Mother can be this, depending on the player's choices.
- Freudian Excuse: Guilleme has had a very long, very terrible life. That said, Rosa grew up with most of the same problems, and has turned out a lot better, except in some of the bad endings.
- Emotion Eater: Guilleme and Rosa are inhuman beings who feed on love.
- Gayngst: Catherine suffers from this. It's implied she wouldn't even be physically attracted to Guilleme if not for his supernatural allure.
- No Name Given: Mother's name is never revealed.
- My Nayme Is: Guilleme's name is an oddity compared to the more mainstream spelling Guillaume, especially for 18th century France. A couple of characters comment on this.
- Parental Incest: Rosa had sexual contact with her (possibly adoptive) mother, and may also end up sexually involved with Guilleme. It's ambiguous as to whether Mother really wanted to do this or just needed to keep Rosa from feeding on anyone else.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Guilleme, but the emphasis is more on "manchild" than "psychopathic".
- Slutshaming: Mother to Rosa all the damn time. It's a genuine attempt to keep her from accidentally driving people insane with her curse but it's also left poor Rosa a wreck.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: It's established early on that Rosa attracts a lot of unwanted attention. She actually puts her own eye out in what is partly an attempt to be less physically attractive. Guilleme is revealed to have suffered similarly. Both she and Guilleme are cursed to supernaturally incite desire in those around them, so it's not exactly beauty that's the problem.
- Spirit Advisor: Mother. More accurately, Mother is a memory imprinted onto Rosa's psyche who acts as Rosa's guide... and occasionally tormentor, depending on the player's choices.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Guilleme.
- Whole Plot Reference: To the story of Cupid and Psyche. That said, the plot isn't a retelling of the story.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Guilleme is very tired of spending the centuries as a parasite, but at the same time is frightened of dying.