Your name is Bakumi Moriyama, and you're having a very bad day. You just did your very best at a test, without having to cheat or anything, but in the last 3 minutes you realize that you accidentally put all the answers in the wrong spaces, and it's too late to go back and fix it. So obviously there's nothing left to do but snap horribly and go on a rage-fueled rampage through the school, annihilating delinquents, crocodiles and evil demonic busts, all while your rage grows stronger and stronger until it destroys the Earth itself.
Crimsoness (Shakunetsu Hime in Japanese) is a very short, but hilarious Freeware Visual Novel, in which you try to destroy as much as possible before the 3 minutes are up, building up your Rage Meter and trying to find ways to increase your limit so you can take on more powerful foes. The art style is very simple and MS Paint-ish, but effective.
Download the game here.
Crimsoness provides examples of:
- Anthropomorphic Personification: According to Iteko, Bakumi is the physical embodiment of rage.
- Ax-Crazy: Seriously, Bakumi has got anger issues to say the least and when she goes ballistic, everyone's gotta die in her eyes. Reason doesn't matter, because she's too pissed off to care.
- Attempted Rape: Shibasaki tries to rape Bakumi on the school roof. Too bad he had to pick the avatar of rage to try this on.
- Bittersweet Ending: Bakumi dies in her attempt to split the Earth, but at least she gets to take everyone else with her. (And she doesn't just die from being in the vacuum; her exploding rage smears her over eighty light-years of space.)
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Literally. If you've maxed out your rage meter you can destroy the time limit.
- Crapsack World: According to Bakumi, at least. Of course, this means it's perfectly okay to destroy it with your bare hands.
- Dissonant Serenity: "La la la split the earth..."
- Disproportionate Retribution: The whole reason Bakumi's rampage kicked off in the first place? She goofed up her test.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Bakumi splits the Earth with nothing but her bare fists and the power of her rage.
- Foreshadowing: Somewhere in Iteko's massive speech, he predicts that Bakumi will destroy the Earth, killing herself in the process.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The crocodile and demonic bust.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: If you build up your rage meter too high before taking on the demonic bust, it'll turn your rage against you.
- Madness Mantra: "3 MINUTES 3 MINUTES 3 MINUTES."
- Megaton Punch: Bakumi's weapon of choice.
- Motor Mouth: Iteko will not shut the hell up.
- Serial Escalation: The whole game is built on topping itself in sheer ludicrousness.
- Suicidal Cosmic Temper Tantrum: Quite literally. She becomes an Omnicidal Maniac over a test that could of gone better and decides to put the whole planet to the torch, not caring if she dies in the process.
- Shout-Out: When you die or run out of time, a button appears that reads "Genuflect."
- In the same vein and game reference, during his endless speech, Iteko quotes Osaka Bancho in his infamous "Kennedy died of starvation, SUCKAH!"
- Soundtrack Dissonance: For a game about a pissed-off schoolgirl destroying everything in sight, the music is surprisingly upbeat.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Iteko tries to beat you by talking endlessly until the time limit runs out. Of course, you can punch him in and face and shut him up any time you want. And if Bakumi has destroyed time itself, he will ultimately go into a This Cannot Be! breakdown and die of a heart attack.
- Timed Mission: You only have 3 minutes to complete the game. Unless you max out your rage meter, at which point you can actually smash the hourglass itself and erase the time limit.
- Title Drop: At some point in his long, rambling speech, Iteko dubs Bakumi the Crimsoness.
- Tranquil Fury: By the time she gets around to splitting the Earth, Bakumi seems strangely composed.
- Unstoppable Rage: Bakumi practically runs on this.
- Villain Protagonist: Bakumi is the protagonist, but considering the fact that she turns into an Ax-Crazy Omnicidal Maniac over something as banal as a failed test, she ain't no hero.