Tread Marks is a 2000 indie Vehicular Combat Tank Racing game developed by Longbow Digital Arts.It features completely destroyable terrain, copious amounts of weaponry, silly physics, and TANK RACING.
Tread Marks has examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The self-aware battle tanks of both the USA and Russian Federation went AWOL and banded together to have fun shooting and racing each other.
- Denial of Diagonal Attack: Tanks can freely spin their turret around 360 degrees, but cannot aim up or down, to encourage players to get into the fray rather than snipe.
- Everything Breaks: Terrain is distorted by weapons fire - cannons create small pits, while nuclear missiles create enormous craters. Dirt Balls and Flower Power missiles build hills with their explosions.
- Excuse Plot: Aside from the paragraph-long backstory in the main menu, there is no storyline.
- Gatling Good: The Avenger is a hull-mounted gatling gun which spews out a dozen bullets with every click and does huge amounts of damage.
- Gravity Screw: "The Moon" takes place on the Moon and has 1/6th gravity, leading to tanks spinning wildly end over end when they hit a crater at 100kph.
- The Monolith: "The Moon" is dotted with enormous Monoliths.
- Multi-Track Drifting: Drifting is the most efficient way of navigating tight corners in races. The tanks are also very fast.
- This Is a Drill: The Ramdrill is made of diamond and can kill tanks absurdly quickly, but has the shortest range in the game and is mounted onto the hull rather than the turret.
- Wacky Racing: Sentient tanks racing and drifting through the countryside while firing nukes at each other.
- You Nuke 'Em: The guided nuclear missile is a rare weapon, but can instagib a dozen tanks at once.