This Is Your Grave is a flash horror Freeware Game by indie developer Black Manta Studio. It was created with the Game Maker engine and was released on the Game Maker Community forums as an open beta version on November 30, 2014.
The game starts out innocently enough. You and your bread-addicted girlfriend are hanging out in what seems to be a vast, but strangely empty town, when you are approached by a little dog. It seems to be trying to lead you somewhere, so your girlfriend follows it, leaving breadcrumbs in her wake.
But as soon as she leaves the screen, all things turn to pure, unadulterated insanity.
Now you have to traverse the wide, treacherous terrain in search of her, following the trail of breadcrumbs she fortunately left. However, there are more than one of these trails, and it's up to you to figure out which one really leads to her—but you've got to learn it fast, since you haven't got a lot of time, and the forest's residents are also interested in getting to know the intruder.
Download here, and jump right in.
This Is Your Grave contains examples of:
- Always Save the Girl: Your character does not mind taking on the town's monstrous denizens and treacherous geography just to search for his girlfriend.
- Ambiguously Brown: The player character.
- Animalistic Abomination: The Hellhound, at least when it shows its true form.
- Apocalyptic Log: You can chance upon a few notes left by what seems to be an unfortunate person who also got lost in the town and possibly never got back out again.
- Eyes Always Shut: The girlfriend's are.
- Freeware Game: As the game is still an open beta release, it's distributed for free.
- Gratuitous Japanese: The title screen of the game has a Japanese inscription over the official title that read "Kore wa Kimi no Haka."
- Living MacGuffin: The only actual purpose your character's girlfriend serves is to be your ticket to the "good ending."
- Me's a Crowd: The Human Frogs (the crawling humanoids) can multiply itself over time.
- No Name Given: To the player character and his girlfriend.
- One-Winged Angel: The Hellhound turns from a cute little dog to a large, demonic creature as your Sanity goes down.
- Have a Nice Death: The in-game loading screen. "Generating your grave. Please don't panic."
- Humanoid Abomination: The Artificial Balloon (that large-headed floating creature) and the Mimics.
- Jump Scare: Loads of it, at random times.
- Randomly Generated Levels: Each playthrough of the game will spawn the player, the girl, the trees and the enemies at different locations, allowing for a different experience each time.
- Sanity Meter: Included as a stat. The lower this becomes, the more horrific the Hellhound would be.
- Scare Chord: Plays when the Hellhound appears.
- Stat Death: Depleting your Sanity will bring about a Game Over even though you still have health left.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: The Artificial Balloon is capable of this. It can disappear into thin air just as easily as it appeared.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Staring too long at the Crying Girl will cause her to leap toward you and One-Hit Kill you. And by you, we don't mean your player character.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Your character's girlfriend loves bread.
- Unfazed Everyman: Your character faces different monsters, horrors, and Eldritch Abominations with no useful ability but his own limited stamina. The only facial expression he has (aside from his wide, delighted smile during the intro cutscene) is one of boredom, indifference, and annoyance.
- Volumetric Mouth: When you trigger one of the Mimics, their jaws drop wide open (wide enough to swallow your character whole, actually!) and emit a loud scream.