Tropes present in Steamshovel Harry.
- Autotune: Used a lot in the main theme of the game.
- Crapsack World: Let's see, a giant Spider King has taken over, there's an unchecked plague, "boiling seas and blood-red sky." Suddenly, inevitably being wiped out doesn't sound so bad.
- Deconstruction Game: To forced tutorials.
- Department of Redundancy Department:It's got oceans for swimming!
Not acid for dying!
There's a moon
And some grass
Lots of water too
And more grass
- The End of the World as We Know It: What Steamshovel Harry is trying to prevent. He fails, thanks to the overly long tutorial.
- Everything Is Trying to Kill You: Including physics and the tutorial itself. It succeeds.
- Forced Tutorial: Deconstructed.
- Annoying Video-Game Helper: Also deconstructed. At least it tries to, the game ends before they've gotten started at it.
- Giant Spider: They are present in this game. They're on the good side/friendly, unlike most cases.
- Intercourse with You: Part of the tutorial theme is taken up by the singer singing about how he can't wait to make love to physics.
- Man on Fire: Look closely at the Helper Spider once the nuke hits Earth, you'll see that he's on fire.
- Made of Iron: One wonders what Steamshovel Harry is made of considering that he seems no worse for the wear when the nuke hits Earth, while the Helper Spider on the other hand bursts into flames.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The planetary anthem goes:We'll find a cure for that Plague
We have to admit that was our mistake
- Also, the tiresomely long tutorial takes up those 10 minutes that Steamshovel Harry was supposed to use to save Earth.
- Poison Is Corrosive: The Spider King's jaws can dissolve anything.
- Running Gag: Characters saying they have to explain things as quickly as possible, only to end up wasting even more of your time.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: You can't even attempt to go Screw This, I'm Outta Here! and fly off.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The lyrics describing Earth seem to have a lot of this.
- Timed Mission: You have ten minutes. The tutorial has barely let you walk a single step before you are out of time.
- Unwinnable by Design: The entire game.
- Unwinnable Joke Game: The entire point here.
- Wreaking Havok: According to the tutorials, throwing items affects your jump height. Also, the theme song repeatedly warns you that "Physics are gonna kill you Harry!" To be fair, it doesn't.