This game has players going though game worlds playing as Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi as they try to defeat Bowser and Captain Syrup, and stop them from collecting all the pieces of the Hand of Midas, which has the ability to turn anything to gold.
Tropes that are involved in this game include:
- Assist Character: Takko in demo is one.
- But Thou Must!: In one demo level, the player is forced to be Mario because you have to use his wall jump ability.
- Continuity Nod: There are a number of them in the demo:
- Gotta Catch Them All: Mushrooms at the start of the demo, but after Captain Syrup uses the Midas Machine, they become Golden Mushrooms.
- Runaway Train: The first level of the demo's second world. It's implied by E. Gadd that it would fall off a cliff soon.