It is influenced by Ultima Online and old Sierra games, and aims for a similar level of difficulty. PvP can happen anywhere at any time. Death has experience and item penalties, and mobs will pick up and use your items against you when you drop them. Mobs, players, and dropped items are all clippable, and deaths are usually from being trapped in one way or another. Many people have spent weeks or months collecting rare items and then raged-quit after losing them. Historically the game has had a peaceful community, but there have been periods of war in which leaving town was dangerous. Things are currently peaceful for new players, especially if you are polite to other champions.
The game features the following tropes:
- 1-Up: The Amulet of Lifesaving immediately provides the player with an extra life if their hitpoints reach 0.
- An Axe to Grind: There are four axe weapons in the game; a Hatchet, an Axe, Large Axe and the mighty Minotaur Axe.
- An Interior Designer Is You: Many players decorate their vault by building things out of items.
- Bandit Mook: There are Thief enemies, who'll steal all of the player's items if they manage to kill them, and will have to be defeated in order to get them back. Oh, and they can drink any low-level potions they looted from you as well.
- Critical Hit: A part of the combat system. Drinking a Potion of Charging lets you inflict one automatically, but it requires a Drinking Skill of 18.
- Dem Bones: Skeletons are fought in the desert and desert tomb area. Moreover, there are not just human skeletons and Liches, but skeleton wolves and rats as well! Altogether, they are actually the toughest enemy fraction in the game.
- Enemy Summoner: Liches will summon Skeletons and Skeleton Rats. Werewolf will summon white wolves when encountered.
- Healing Potion: The Potion of Life. Amusingly, you cannot drink it should your "Drinking Skill" be below 4. There's also a Potion of Extra Life, which is 5X stronger, but requires a Drinking Skill of 13.
- Horny Vikings: A Horned Helmet is the strongest head armor in the game, and the horns actually give the player the chance to inflict 10 "recoil" damage in response to attacks.
- In-Universe Game Clock: One hour in-game is six hours real-time.
- King Mook: Every boss is an upgraded version of the minions it commands.
- Life Drain: One of the magical effects, castable through a scroll. Moreover, the strongest blunt weapon is a Morning Star of Drain Life.
- A Load of Bull: Minotaur is a boss enemy found at the end of The Maze, who wields the strongest axe of its kind and does powerful headbutts.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: There are multiple shields in game, many of which also give the player elemental resistances in addition to raising their physical defence.
- Regenerating Health: Carrying a Quartz Rabbit charm allows the player to regenerate 5 HP/minute, while wearing a Glove of Healing regenerates 6 HP/minute.
- Use Your Head: Satyrs (including Satyr Elders and their boss, Forstyll) as well as the Minotaur all have powerful headbutt attacks.