Xeodrifter is a Metroidvania platformer Retraux Game developed by Renegade Kid that was released on Nintendo 3DS, and PC on December 11th, 2014, on Wii U on July 30th, 2015, and on PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita on September 1st, 2015 and Nintendo Switch in February 2018. In it, you play as an unnamed astronaut whose spaceship was hit by an asteroid, destroying his Warp Drive and crippling his ship's ability to move, leaving him in a sector of space with 4 planets he can fly to. From there, the game suggests that you go to the topmost planet, and that's the majority of the guidance you get. From there, you'll need to find out where to go on your own.
The gameplay is similar to Metroid. You run, jump, and shoot enemies in a series of 2D landscapes and fight bosses to gain new powers that let you explore more places and find health and gun upgrades.
This game contains examples of the following:
- Charged Attack: The Solar Flare lets you do this and break certain barriers.
- Flash Step: The Phaze ability lets the player character warp forward, and even through walls.
- Heart Container: There are 12 health upgrades hidden in the game, allowing you to max out your health at 15 units.
- Mundane Made Awesome: After defeating a certain boss, you gain the ability to run. Sound lame? Well, you can actually run on lava with that power.
- Palette Swap: The only boss in the game comes in 7 color schemes: purple (skin) and yellow (eyes), blue and pink, orange and green, gray and pink, dark green and orange, dark blue and light blue, and dark green and yellow-green.
- Recurring Boss: There's really only one boss in the game, who comes in 7 different collector's colors and learns a new move every time you face him.
- Socketed Equipment: Finding a gun upgrade will let you put it into any of the five gun slots. The choices are shot speed, power, fire rate, diagonal shot, and wave shot (it goes in a pattern like Metroid 1's Wave Beam). The power requires 2 gun upgrades before it increases, while the others only need one. You also have buttons reading 1, 2, and 3 on the right, which allow you to make 3 different setups and switch between them in the menu. There's 12 gun upgrades hidden in the game.
- Super Speed: The Run ability. It lets you run on lava, too.