X-Perts is a side-scrolling fighting action video game produced by Sega of America and released only in North America for the Mega Drive/Genesis in 1996. It is a spin-off of Eternal Champions starring the assassin Shadow Yamoto, who is depicted in her design from Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side.
The game's plot is based on an alternate timeline in which Shadow Yamoto wasn't killed by the Black Orchid in 1993. According to the instruction manual, she escaped the Black Orchid, and formed an anti-corruption group in revenge for their attempt on Shadow's life.
A group of terrorists took over an undersea weapons factory. Unless the UN give into their demands, the terrorists will detonate a thermonuclear device that will destroy the earth.
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Classified Information: Zachary's real name is said to be classified in his dossier.
- Computer Voice: A female voice will inform you of the progress of tasks being performed by your team and whether they come under attack.
- Content Warnings: One of only three games (the others being Challenge from the Dark Side and Duke Nukem 3D) to hold Sega's adult-content classification of "Deep Water". The game itself is only rated T for animated blood, compared to the other two being M-rated.
- Digitized Sprites: Of the "pre-rendered CG" variety.
- Everything Fades: Enemies dissolve in a pillar of light upon being killed.
- Real Time: You swap between the characters, and time continues to pass for the others while you're focused on one, whether it involves performing tasks or combating enemies.
- Two Girls and a Guy: A non-friendly/romantic take. Besides Shadow, your other operatives are Zachary Taylor, your computer/tech expert, and Tashile Claudel, a doctor of robotics.
- Underwater Base: The setting of the game.
- Western Terrorists: This terrorist group is not based off of any real life group in particular.
- A Winner Is You: You blow up the base, escape in your escape pod, and... that's it. It instantly goes back to the title screen.
- Would Hit a Girl: Both sides do not care about gender differences.