Woah Dave! (sic) is a one-screen platformer in the vein of Mario Bros., created by Choice Provisions of BIT.TRIP fame. The protagonist, Dave Lonuts, is tasked with fighting an endless army of aliens that drop out of the sky in eggs. Dave must do so by picking up and throwing skull bombs, the coveted Woah Block, or even other eggs at hatched aliens. If an alien crawls into the lava at the bottom of the screen, it will "evolve" into a more dangerous enemy that yields more pennies.
The original game released in 2014. In 2015, the game was upgraded to Woah Dave! Deluxe!. And in 2018, a sequel was released, titled Space Dave!
Woah Dave! contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: Occasionally, an egg will be black instead of green, leading to one of these being hatched. If killed before it reaches the lava, it drops a bunch of coins.
- Alien Invasion: Dave is trying to stop one. Given the nature of the game, he shan't succeed.
- Character Title: Yup, the hero's name is Dave. Not "Woah Dave", just "Dave".
- Endless Game: In the style of golden age games.
- Excited Show Title!: That exclamation point means business.
- Flying Saucer: These show up after a while in Normal difficulty, and immediately in Bonkers.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: The two difficulty levels are Normal ("If you wanna call it that") and Bonkers.
- Jump Physics: Dave can turn around in midair.
- Pinball Scoring: Averted; score is measured in pennies.
- Scoring Points: The only goal of the game is to obtain as many "pennies" as possible.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: Implied; whenever Dave loses his last life, the stage reverts to its original lava-free state, and all the "aliens" turn into members of Dave's species.
- Title Drop: An announcer says "Woah Dave!" whenever a Woah Block is picked up.
- Updated Re-release: A year after the game's initial release, it was upgraded to Woah Dave! Deluxe!, which adds bosses, more levels, and more playable characters (including CommandgirlVideo).