Wardner (Japanese title: Wardner no Moritranslation ) horror-themed Platform Game developed by Toaplan and distributed by Taito. Originally a 1987 Arcade Game, it was ported to the Famicom in 1988 and to the Sega Genesis in 1990.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Adaptation Expansion: The Genesis version, titled Wardner no Mori SPECIAL in Japan, expands Stage 4 and divides it in half, and lengthens the final stage. It also expands the story by including more concise dialogs between the characters.
- Adult Fear: The game averts Too Smart for Strangers- The hero and the princess brainlessly follows a complete stranger who is offering to take them to a Fantasia (whatever that is), and the princess is then kidnapped and the hero is left to try to save the princess on his own.
- Antagonist Title: Wardner is the final boss.
- Boss Rush: Added to the Genesis version. Towards the end of the final level, you fight all the bosses from the previous five levels again.
- Giant Spider: The seemingly innocent trapped maiden in the second stage turns out to be one of these.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: The first thing the game asks when you insert your coin is "Let me know your name" and allows you to enter a three letter initial. Guess what's the most common entry. And yes, it does get spliced into the dialog at several points in the game.
- Inconveniently Placed Conveyor Belt: Featured in the second stage.
- The Lost Woods: The first stage; the third stage is a mixture of this and Lethal Lava Land.
- Market-Based Title: The Arcade version is released as Wardner no Mori in Japan, Pyros in the US, and just Wardner in Europe.
- Malevolent Architecture: Spinning blades and other traps are common in the indoor levels.
- Money Spider: Enemies will often drop money.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: Our hero, except in the Famicom Disk System version. Can be subverted - see Single-Use Shield below.
- One-Winged Angel: Final Boss Wardner shows his real form.
- Save the Princess: She gets kidnapped in the intro.
- Single-Use Shield: The protagonist can find or buy a cloak that protects him from being hit once. There is also a sewing kit that protects the cloak once.