One day, the Emperor Magulus and his son, prince Tavian, are carving a way through a forest on their journey to town. While traveling, they're beset upon by Golems. Magulus distracts them so Tavian can run off, but Tavian ends up falling into a river when the bridge he's on breaks, and is washed downstream.
When Tavian comes to, night has fallen, and he has no idea where his father is. With no other options, he decides to light a fire and take a nap. In his dream, he visits Nyona, the guardian spirit of the forest. Nyona informs Tavian that the forest is going out of control because she's been bound in chains and can't help. She informs Tavian that he needs to break her bindings and free her, whereupon she can restore harmony to the forest. So, Tavian begins his quest.
The game was released on April 8th, 2016 for PC on Steam and the Humble Store.
Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth contains examples of:
- Badass Moustache: Emperor Magulus has one.
- Bald of Awesome: Magulus in the intro. He can slice through a bunch of vines in just one swing, and take out a Plant Mook with a leaping strike.
- Big Good: Nyona, the spirit of the forest.
- Big Ol' Unibrow: Emperor Magulus has a HUGE one.
- Breakable Weapons: Tavian's weapons will break with too much use. Luckily he can simply take the weapons of defeated enemies to use in place.
- Dream Land: Where Nyona resides and is trapped.
- Drop the Hammer: Tavian can wield a variety of hammers in the game.
- The Lost Woods: The game is set in one of these. Without Nyona there to maintain the balance, its denizens have become hostile.
- Flaming Hair: Bitt is a young male spirit with literal flaming yellow hair and fire powers.
- Plant Mooks: Enemies in the game include a kind of vine wielding a weapon.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Tavian has a rolling move that he can use to dodge attacks.
- Video Game Sliding: Tavian can perform a slide move.