Wacky Races is a Mascot Racer that was released in 2000 on the Sega Dreamcast and later ported to the PlayStation 2 the following year, though the PS2 port was only released in Europe. It was based off the old Wacky Races cartoon.
This game provides examples of
- The Cameo: In the PS2 version, the track Terminal Turmoil has a point where one can see The Vulture Squadrons planes, and even drive up to them.
- Cel Shading: It was one of the first games to be cel-shaded. It definitely helps the cartoony look of the game.
- Mascot Racer: Interestingly enough, unlike other Kart racers, each drive have their own personalized items.
- Team Rocket Wins: The final unlock is the ability to play as Dick Dastardly. It's worth going through all the trouble to do so just to win a race as him and hear the announcer's bewildered or disgusted reaction.
- Updated Re-release: The PS2 version includes a new area called The Big Apricot, which has a series of city based tracks, and two battle arenas based on one of said tracks.
- Wacky Racing: It's based on the Trope Namer, after all. Unlike other Mario Kart-likes, you don't pick up power-ups along the track — you chose three from a list specific to the character you choose before every race, and pick up tokens along the track that let you use the powers you chose.