The game was first released in Japan in July 2019. Round1's U.S. locations also began to receive the game by September, followed by South Korea, Hong Kong/Macau, Singapore and Taiwan in December (although these international builds do not support over-the-air updates over network services (requiring manual updates with USB drives instead), so it has sometimes lagged behind Japan in terms of new content). The first major update, WACCA S, was released in January 2020, with Marvelous also stating that it planned to keep the international builds in sync with the Japanese build.
This game provides examples of
- Anti-Frustration Features:
- The notefield only darkens the lanes where upcoming phases of notes are going to appear, changing throughout a song.
- Several events in spring of 2020 were delayed and extended in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic forcing players to stay home (and thus away from arcades).
- Of course "conflict" is on here. Why wouldn't it be?
- Developers' Foresight: If you take an HDMI-out of the cabinet's monitor, the bottom of the screen (not usually shown) shows a "secret" stats display during gameplay, mainly for those recording or streaming their gameplay online.
- Genre Mashup: BATTLE NO. 1 is what happens when HARDCORE TANO*C allows every artist signed to them to make a single song. And they have to share. Every artist has 8 measures in the song. Their parts aren't officially credited, so it's a fun guessing game figuring out who made what part.
- Lovable Lizard: The game's mascot.
- Non-Indicative Name: A "Missless" is scored if you get 1-5 misses. (If you don't get any misses, you get the more traditional "Full Combo" status.)
- Social Media Before Reason: Elizabeth accuses the player of being on their smartphone if they idle during the tutorial.
- Stealth Pun: The top judgment window is "Marvelous", also the name of the developer.
- What the Hell, Player?: Elizabeth sasses the player if they flub the tutorial, and complains if you use the post-credit options menu to turn her mid-song Announcer Chatter off.