Vs. Ace is a Friday Night Funkin' Game Mod created by Kamex, featuring his own avatar Ace. In this mod, Boyfriend and Girlfriend are waiting for a bus, and decide to pass the time by rapping with an ice dragon. Chill beats ensue.
On February 19th 2022, the mod was updated, adding a second week to the main story and adding 3 new freeplay songs.
See also, the (sort-of) sequel to this mod, the Vs. RetroSpecter mod.
Week A provides examples of:
- An Ice Person: Being an ice dragon, Ace has various ice powers, such as freezing Boyfriend or summoning a blizzard.
- Anti-Frustration Features: If you are having too much trouble with the ice notes, Ace will apologize and offer to turn them off and he reminds you that you can always turn it off in the game settings.
- Apologetic Attacker: If you fail to the ice notes too many times, Ace will apologize for them and offer to turn them off. In addition, he'll apologize for the blizzard he accidentally summoned at the end of the last song.
- Bonus Boss: After beating Week A, the song "Frostbite" will be unlocked in Freeplay.
- Brutal Bonus Level:
- "Frostbite", the unlockable bonus song, can get downright brutal at the beginning if you can't keep up with all the note patterns and rapid ice notes. This gets even worse on the "Swapped" difficulty.
- "Ectospasm" from Retro's mod returns, and it's as difficult as ever, though thankfully there's no acid or spectral notes to worry about, you can turn off the ice arrows, and the difficulty can even be lowered. There is also an Instrumental difficulty for "Ectospasm", bringing the difficulty up to par with the Apocalypse difficulty from the song's original mod.
- The Cameo:
- In the background of the first week, we can see RetroSpecter's avatar spectating.
- In the end picture, several characters and mod developers can be seen in the windows and graffiti, such as BBpanzu, KadeDev, BanBuds, and several mod characters.
- In Week 2, Retro reappears in his Zerktro form. In addition, various other mod characters and FNF artists and musicians are seen walking in the background.
- Sakuroma from Vs. RetroSpecter appears in the bonus song "Cold Hearted" for a duet with Ace.
- Cleavage Window: Girlfriend has a small one at the top of her sweater.
- Delightful Dragon: Ace is a dragon and a friendly one at that.
- Darker and Edgier: As opposed to earlier songs at worst having a strong blizzard occur, the bonus song "North" takes place at Week 2's location, now a crime scene with noticeable blood and evidence left behind. The song itself is also a lot more aggressive than other songs, featuring gunshots and instrumentals not unlike Pico's songs.
- Draconic Humanoid: Ace is a dragon with human proportions.
- Elemental Powers: Ace has ice powers and can freeze others.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Ace's icon in Frostbite is covered in shadow and has a single glowing blue eye, making him much more menacing.
- Hard Mode Perks: While Swapped difficulty has more difficult charting, you also get more hold note sections, giving you a chance to regain some health.
- Harder Than Hard: Swapped difficulty, which, as the name suggests, swaps your charting with Ace's, who would otherwise have the more difficult charting in songs, and since you go first you don't have the luxury of seeing Ace play your notes first to know what to expect. It also doubles the amount of ice notes present.
- Ignore the Fanservice: Ace intentionally misinterprets Sakuroma's request for a "quickie" as a quick duet, then almost immediately leaves to his apartment after the song ends and slams the door in Sakuroma's face.
- Interface Screw: Ice notes will appear, and if you hit them your UI will freeze up, preventing you from hitting notes for a second.
- Insult Backfire: Mini Ace calls bigger Ace gay, and he agrees saying "You're half right." because he is actually bisexual.
- Lighter and Softer: As this mod and the Vs. RetroSpecter mod are companion pieces both made by Kamex and Retro and share the same dev teams, this is the calmer, softer, and more chill opponent and mod of the two.
- Limited Wardrobe: Averted. Boyfriend and Girlfriend are wearing different outfits for the winter and not their Christmas outfits from Week 5.
- Meaningful Name: All the song titles have meanings behind them:
- "Concrete Jungle" refers to a harsh and popular urban area, and this week takes place in Brooklyn, New York where Boyfriend and Girlfriend are passing the time while waiting for a bus to Manhattan.
- "Noreaster" refers to "Nor'easter", a storm that occurs in the North American East Coast which is where New York is located.
- "Sub Zero" refers to temperatures below zero degrees Celsius, the freezing temperature of water, alluding to Ace's ice powers.
- "Frostbite" refers to a dangerous injury to skin being exposed to extreme cold temperatures for too long.
- Mirror Match: Choosing to play as Ace becomes this, with both Ace's even commenting on the absurdity of the situation.
- No Fourth Wall: Mini Ace and Retro break the fourth wall a lot in their week dialogue, such as Mini Ace wondering if he's in the wrong mod, or Retro knowing the second song ahead of time due to playtesting the mod.
- Nice Guy: Ace is a friendly and easygoing guy who doesn't antagonize Boyfriend, but rather invites him to have fun singing off. He even offers to make the song easier if you're having too much trouble.
- Opposites Attract: Ace and Retro. Ace is a laidback individual with ice powers, while Retro is the bad-tempered embodiment of the sin of Wrath who can conjure fire, and yet they're happily dating.
- Power Incontinence: He doesn't seem to have control over his powers or the blizzards he summons since they seem to happen out of his control when he's having too much fun.
- Psychoactive Powers: Ace's powers seem to be controlled by his emotions or intensity of feelings, such as the more excited he gets, the stronger his powers and the storms he summons can be.
- Screw Yourself: Defied. Mini Ace offers to make out with bigger Ace and big Ace refuses on account of mini Ace being the size of a 5th grader.
- Stealth Prequel: This mod is a prequel to the Vs. RetroSpecter mod because one of Retro's death quotes is mocking you for thinking he would go easy on you like Ace did when he disables the ice notes.
- Weather Manipulation: Ace can change the weather and make it snow or summon snowstorms and blizzards when he is feeling extreme emotions.