The warrior Volgarr has been charged by Odin with a quest to defeat an evil dragon, armed with a sword, a spear and a wooden shield he embarks on a journey to complete his duty.
Volgarr the Viking is a difficult action/platformer developed by Crazy Viking Studios, and published by Adult Swim Games.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Barbarian Hero: Volgarr, the player character. Very much so, with his long, braided hair and beard, a well-muscled Heroic Build, furry Loincloth and boots, and a sword and shield.
- Breakable Powerup: Volgarr can collect items from chests, in order: a wooden shield, a metal shield, a helmet, a flaming sword, and a power up that makes you fling fireballs at enemies when you get hit. These act as Hit Points or a series of Single Use Shields, with each bit of damage removing one until Volgarr is a One-Hit Point Wonder.
- Fluffy the Terrible: The fourth Boss, a giant serpent that some believe to be the reincarnation of Jormungandr, is in fact the cult leader's pet snake "Fluffy".
- Horny Vikings: Volgarr with the helmet Power-Up. The helmet has the obligatory curved horns sticking out of its sides.
- Incendiary Exponent: The Flaming Sword upgrade — everything is cooler when it's on fire.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: The enemies strength can be measured by their color.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Every being that dies — including Volgarr — turns into flying, cartoonish piles of blood and bones.
- Shout-Out: To the red dragon boss of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. You can also find the corpse of Volgarr's spiritual ancestor, the star of arcade and console classic Rastan, in the first pit of the first stage.