Volgarr the Viking is a difficult action/platformer developed by Crazy Viking Studios, and published by Adult Swim Games. It was initially released on September 13, 2013, and is currently available for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Play Station Vita, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch.
The warrior Volgarr has been charged by Odin with a quest to defeat an evil dragon, armed with a sword, a spear and a wooden shield he embarks on a journey to complete his duty.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Barbarian Hero: Volgarr, the player character. Very much so, with his long, braided hair and beard, a well-muscled Heroic Build, furry Loincloth and boots, and a sword and shield.
- Breakable Powerup: Volgarr can collect items from chests, in order: a wooden shield, a metal shield, a helmet, a flaming sword, and a power up that makes you fling fireballs at enemies when you get hit. These act as Hit Points or a series of Single Use Shields, with each bit of damage removing one until Volgarr is a One-Hit Point Wonder.
- Fluffy the Terrible: The fourth Boss, a giant serpent that some believe to be the reincarnation of Jormungandr, is in fact the cult leader's pet snake "Fluffy".
- Horny Vikings: Volgarr with the helmet Power-Up. The helmet has the obligatory curved horns sticking out of its sides.
- Incendiary Exponent: The Flaming Sword upgrade — everything is cooler when it's on fire.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: The enemies strength can be measured by their color.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Every being that dies — including Volgarr — turns into flying, cartoonish piles of blood and bones.
- Shout-Out: To the red dragon boss of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. You can also find the corpse of Volgarr's spiritual ancestor, the star of arcade and console classic Rastan, in the first pit of the first stage.