The game is an updated version of Qix, with extra features and a futuristic science fiction aesthetic, rather than Qix's abstract geometry style. The player pilots a small spaceship named "monotros" instead of a simple dot and the enemies come in the form of various aliens.
Taking place in another galaxy, a space pilot is returning to his home world of Volfied, only to discover that it is under attack by an unknown alien force. The few remaining Volfied inhabitants are in an underground location of the planet and signal the pilot to their aide. The pilot flies to Volfied using his ship's defensive weapons in order to eliminate the alien threat and save his people.
This Video Game contains examples of:
- Easy-Mode Mockery: On easy, the DOS version of Volfied ends the game before the final level.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Averted. The player character can take at least one hit.
- Palette Swap: Some enemies use identical sprites with different colors. The palette swapped versions are a bit more dangerous, such as firing five bullets and spending less recovery time.
- Power-Up: Enclosing a square block provides one randomly chosen powerup.
- Scoring Points: You get points for destroying enemies and clearing stages.
- Timed Mission: The ship's shield provided protection as long as the ship is on the border. When the time runs out, enemies will aggressively attack as if you are in the field.