Taking place on an alien world named Viridis Primus, the goal of the game is to ensure the success of your colony. Along the way you can farm, fish, paint, make pottery, cook, befriend fellow colonists, and even fall in love if you wish.
Verdant Skies also differs from other games in its genre by not asking you to a gender when you create your character.
Verdant Skies contains examples of:
- Character Customization: The game features an array of skin tones, hair styles, and clothes to pick for your avatar. You can also customize your nose and eyes as well.
- Farm Life Sim: Verdant Skies is a sci-fi twist on the genre. It takes place on an alien world named Viridis Primus. The protagonist is a part of a colony and the goal is to ensure the survival of the colony. Along the way you can farm, fish, cook, befriend fellow colonists, and marry other colonists.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Rosie mingles Spanish into her speech.
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: Rosie has clouded eyes due to being blind.
- Spiritual Successor: To Story of Seasons. The game acts as a futuristic twist on the series and takes heavy influence from it.
- Wrench Wench: Rosie Martinez is a talented mechanical engineer, though she's new to being a space mechanical engineer.