3D Monster Maze is a video game released in 1982 for the ZX81. It is one of the first ever 3D games, as well one of the first Survival Horror games ever made, coming out seven years before Sweet Home. In it, you roam in a maze to find the exit while avoiding a Tyrannosaurus rex that chases you. The goal is to collect as many points as possible by avoiding getting eaten and getting to the exit.
This game provides examples of:
- And I Must Scream: After dying, the game tells you you were sentenced to roam the maze forever. You do have the option to appeal in attempt to get out, which basically ends the game.
- Beast in the Maze: Rex, he's a T-rex living in a maze.
- Endless Game: No matter how many mazes you clear, there's no escape.
- Jump Scare: When you see Rex from the front, he'll walk into you and then kill you. It was rather intimidating for the time.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Technical limitations of the ZX81 prevented the game from having any sound... which makes being stalked by Rex even creepier.
- Scoring Points: Five for each step you take in the maze when Rex hunts for you.
- Slasher Smile: Once Rex has got you in his sights, he sports a creepy smile on his face, before he puts those pearly whites◊ to good use.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Rex, of course.
- Visibility Meter: You will receive different warnings depending on how close Rex is to you. From farthest to closest: "REX LIES IN WAIT", "HE IS HUNTING FOR YOU", "FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING", "REX HAS SEEN YOU" and "RUN HE IS BESIDE/BEHIND YOU".