The Tank Builder is an addictive Shoot 'em Up Web Game where the player controls a tank to destroy enemy tanks. Of note is the weapons system- the player can build their own weapons with differing damage, energy cost, rate of fire and splash radius. The player is also able to use money to upgrade their health, health regeneration, energy, energy regeneration, speed, and attack damage.
It can be played here.
Tropes Present in this game:
- Border Patrol: Go out of bounds and a timer starts counting down from 10, killing you at 0. Get back in to remove the timer.
- Bottomless Magazines: With enough energy and regeneration levels and have your weapons at minimum cost, you'll be able to fire indefinitely.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: The first giant-sized tank you face appears in Mission 8. It does an incredible amount of damage per hit at that point in time and has a staggering amount of health.
- Collision Damage: Bumping into an enemy tank damages you and the enemy. Later on, the large kamikaze tanks will attempt to do this with their huge amount of health.
- Critical Annoyance: Averted. When your health is low, your screen will turn red and the words "HIDE!" will appear. Despite this, there is no warning klaxon or anything.
- Endless Game: Free Play Mode, which ends when you die. Of note is that you can actually survive endlessly as the mooks do not increase in power at all, allowing your Regenerating Health to overcome their damage.
- Giant Mook: Besides normal foes, there are big variants and gigantic ones. These have much more health and firepower than the small ones.
- Heavily Armored Mook: The small dark grey tanks have even more health than the large-sized ones but deal less damage.
- Hitscan: All bullets in the game are instant-hit.
- More Dakka: It's possible to stick lots of guns onto your tank and have their fire rate at maximum. Just don't expect your energy to stay high for long.
- No Plot? No Problem!: There's absolutely no plot in the game, but that doesn't detract from the fun.
- Quad Damage: The Double Damage powerup.
- Regenerating Health: Your health regenerates over time, and you can improve this further.
- Splash Damage: One of the properties of a weapon. The bigger the radius, the higher the cost.
- Spread Shot: It's possible to create this by equipping two or more guns and aiming the angles to the side.
- Take Cover!: You can hide behind the walls to avoid enemy line-of-sight.
- Tank Goodness: Everything except the walls.
- Zerg Rush: The Kamikaze tanks tend to appear in HUGE numbers and rush you.