Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly is a 1991 Platform Game for the Game Boy, developed by Imagineering (creators of A Boy and His Blob, as well as the other Simpsons games) and published by Acclaim. Very loosely based on the classic Simpsons episode Kamp Krusty, the game centers around Bart and Lisa being shipped off to the notorious Camp Deadly for the summer, a horrible summer camp run by the tyrannical "Ironfist" Burns, who is determined to change the attitudes of the Simpsons children before camp is over... or they're never going to leave at all.
It's up to Bart to save both himself and his sister, and make sure Camp Deadly isn't going to ruin summer vacation for any other kids.
Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly provides examples of:
- Battle Boomerang: Bart's main weapon throughout the non-Food Fight levels is one of these, which are provided by Lisa. If you lose all of them, you're reduced to using spitwads.
- Bee Afraid: Enemies include hornets as big as Bart's head.
- Canon Foreigner: Blindside Bill, Rebound Rodney and Slipshod Sammy, three bullies who serve as minibosses, and are presumably meant to be standins for Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney from the Kamp Krusty episode.
- And of course Ironfist Burns himself, supposedly Mr. Burns's nephew.
- Damsel in Distress: Lisa assists Bart throughout the game by providing him with ammo during the levels, but in the final stage, Ironfist kidnaps her.
- Death Mountain: To escape the camp, Bart has to cross Mount Deadly the first night of their stay.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Ironfist Burns is the summer camp variety.
- Food Fight: Both the Lunch and Dinner levels feature these, as Bart has to go through the mess tent alive while being pelted with cuttlery by the councellors, using food as a weapon.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Camp Deadly is presumably named after the mountain, but it's still not the name of a camp you'd want to send your kids to.
- Instant Costume Change: Twice throughout the game, a beekeeper suit, a football uniform and a hazmait suit, both of which allow you to get past deadly obstacles on said level.
- Lethal Chef: To no surprise, the food served at Camp Deadly is godawful, and the menu features things like tofu burgers, liver pizza and prune ice cream.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: At one point in the second capture the flat level Bart finds a character named Madman Mort caught in a snare trap. The manual mentions he's an axe murderer, but then again maybe he's not. If Bart lets him down, Mort will show up to help him a few times later in the game.
- Summer Campy: Camp Deadly somehow manages to be even worse than Kamp Krusty ever was, as not only does Bart have to deal with bullies as camp counselors, pretty much everything in the surrounding wilderness wants him dead too.
- Very False Advertising: A cutscene before the Mount Deadly level implies that the ads for the camp portrayed it as a standard fun camp rather than the horrific death march it actually is.