You play as an ambassador visiting the Northlands as the guest of the Empress. You start the game trapped on a terribly boring elephant ride with your chatterbox tour guide, Lady Amilia, and you're desperate to get away.
The game is set in the Zork universe.
Contains examples of:
- Baleful Polymorph: The Ambassador is transformed into a wolfhound at the climax of the game, and must find a way to transform back.
- Beneath the Earth: The game involves discovering the remnants of the underground Old Empire.
- Bizarre Beverage Use: The glass of sherbet you receive in the beginning of the game is used to wake up the sleepy elephant by pouring it on his head.
- The Cameo: Casting 'azzev' in the treehouse shows that J. R. R. Tolkien was a visitor there at some point in the past.
- The Ditz: Asking Amilia about most things will produce the response: "What Amilia doesn't know would fill a whole game in itself." If you hand her the telescope, she'll look through the wrong end.
- Götterdämmerung: Magic has been gone for a long time... but it's been rediscovered.
- Epigraph: The story begins by quoting the final paragraph of "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.
- Evil All Along: Amilia is seeking power, and will dispose of you if you get in her way.
- Hint System: An Infocom-style one that gives you progressively bigger bits of information on a subject.
- Long Title: Just look at it.
- Multiple Endings: There are four possible endings, depending on what you manage to do about Clotspinner and/or the meteor.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Amilia is actually sharp-minded.
- Philosopher's Stone: The titular "Stone".
- Significant Anagram: Not in the game itself, but "Angela M. Horns" is an anagram of Graham Nelson.
- Spell Book: You use one to perform magic.