The Lab is a 2016 virtual reality game created by Valve Software. The game is set in an Aperture Science pocket universe and includes several mini-games.
The Lab contains examples of:
- Artillery Game:
- Slingshot involves launching personality cores at piles of boxes and explosives.
- Longbow is an archery game where the player tries to stop a horde of Bendies from raiding your castle.
- Auction: The Auction Core tries to auction off a bag of garbage.
- Bullet Hell: Xortex involves flying your ship to avoid lots of bullets and lasers.
- Evil Brit: Invoked by the Supervillain Core, who uses a British accent but it turns out he's actually Canadian.
- Evil Laugh: The ghost story core gives one after informing the player he lied about working for the post office.
- Genre Shift: Secret Shop takes the player to the fantasy item shop from Dota 2.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: The Core That Goes By The Book says, "I'll see you in heaven" when launched.
- Pocket Dimension: The game is set in Pocket Universe 08, and Robot Repair features a dimension in a drawer.
- Reverse Psychology: The Reverse Psychology Core tries to use this trope to manipulate the player.
- Tech Demo Game: Showcases some uses of virtual reality capabilities.
- Unwinnable by Design: Robot Repair seems to be GLaDOS's way of playing with human recruits. The player is given a set of confusing instructions on how to repair the robot, but there doesn't appear to be any way to actually complete them.
- Year X: Xortex is set in the year 26XX.