The Karate Kid is a side-scrolling action fighting game for the NES, based on Parts I and II of the movie The Karate Kid, developed by Atlus and published by LJN Toys in November 1987.
- Improvised Weapon: Besides rocks, Chozen's goons will also throw cabbages, Bonsai plants, and paper lamps at you.
- Knock Back: A significant contributor to the game's difficulty. Caused by connecting with a punch/kick and by running into an enemy.
- Nintendo Hard: The very reason for the game's notorious reputation.
- Averted in the first level where you can simply just kick every opponent and never take damage.
- Let's Play: Danny of Game Grumps went through this game like it was almost nothing.
- Phallic Weapon: A special enemy that only appears in the last stage attacks you by holding a spear at crotch level. He even pushes and pulls the spear quickly back and forth to complete the illusion of "jerking off".
- Respawning Enemies: Chozen's goons will always respawn after a few seconds or when they're scrolled off the screen.
- Designer Imposed Cap: Only two enemies can be on-screen as any more than that would've made the game almost impossible.
- Sturgeon's Law: This game could've been better if more thought and effort was put into its design. Such as lessening the difficulty, changing the controls, and making it longer.
- Based in some interviews with some Japanese programmers of the game, they weren't really interested in developing this game too much, since it was intented to be released in the U.S. only and not in Japan.
- Super Drowning Skills: Everyone dies instantly when they end up in the water. Made worse by dramatic knockback.
- Too Dumb to Live: Chozen's goons will jump and walk into the water just to try and get to you.
- When All Else Fails, Go Right
- A Winner Is You: All you get after completing this game is a screen where Mr. Miyagi tells you that you've become a martial arts master and gives you a wink.
- Zero-Effort Boss: The boss of Stage 3 is a little girl stuck on the bell tower. Rescue her to complete the level.
- If you don't rescue the little girl immediately, Chozen and his goons will show up and constantly attack you until you do the good deed.