Fallout: New Vegas - The Frontier is a mod in progress for Fallout: New Vegas that's set around the same time as the events of the main game itself. Instead of the Mojave Wasteland, however, the mod introduces players to the titular Frontier, a cold, desolate waste surrounding what was once Portland, Oregon. While the main plot focuses on the New California Republic forces "stationed" there (thanks to their CO, General Blackthorne getting Reassigned to Antarctica for calling out President Kimball's plans in the Mojave) and their ongoing war with the Legion even amidst the icy wastelands. All while recovering Pre-War technologies and military equipment that would turn the tide of battle in the NCR's favor and let them return with honor to Hoover Dam.
In addition to a large, new setting, the mod is also expected to feature refined combat mechanics and drivable vehicles, including Vertibirds.
- Big Good: General Blackthorne for the NCR aligned groups in the Frontier. For Legion aligned players, this role is filled by Legate Marcus Valerious.
- Continuity Nod:
- The events of the game occur around the same time as the base game's story, so the conflict in the Mojave plays a big role in the backstory. Kimball is still president and Blackthorne has been reassigned to the Frontier to prevent him from stirring up anti-war sentiments.
- A successor to the HELIOS One ARCHIMEDES satellites from New Vegas plays a role in the plot.
- One of the Ghost People from the Dead Money DLC appears and is dueled by the player.
- The Vault Vikings from New California's Survivalist Raiders originated from Vault 37.
- Cool Plane: The Vertibirds and their variants.
- Crazy Survivalist: The Scavengers, groups of various people who struggle to make a living in the Frontier's cold. And while some are pro-NCR, other Scavenger groups are either hostile to everyone else or had ended up becoming absorbed into the Legion.
- Defector from Decadence: Praetorian Marcus Valerius views himself as this, given that he was a defector from the NCR that became enamored with the strength of Caesar's Legion.
- FaceHeel Turn: Legate Marcus Valerius is an NCR defector, though he views it as a HeelFace Turn.
- A Father to His Men: One of the first things General Blackthorne does is to find a safe base of operations for the NCR Exiles and minimizing casualties. Even before being Reassigned to Antarctica, he was a popular figure among the soldiers stationed in the Mojave.
- Gaiden Game: The mod takes place roughly around the same time as New Vegas but is set in a different location with a largely unrelated plot.
- Grim Up North: Compared to the Mojave, let alone the NCR proper, the Frontier is a frigid wasteland. With the NCR Exiles even complaining about how their comrades in the Mojave keep wishing for a nuclear winter.
- Mythology Gag:
- Reassigned to Antarctica: General Blackthorne's growing popularity and increasingly public criticisms over President Kimball's policies in the Mojave led to him and his supporters being exiled to the hostile border territories of the Frontier.
- Renegade Splinter Faction: The NCR Exiles are a benevolent example. Although General Blackthorne and his men were Reassigned to Antarctica, they still remain loyal patriots and intend to return to the Mojave in force.
- Tank Goodness: One of the drivable vehicles is a large WWII-style tank.