A 1985 Arcade Game by Taito, set in the Super-Deformed fantasy world of the Alfalfa kingdom. The gameplay is similar to Taito's later and more famous Elimination Platformer Bubble Bobble, though without a co-op mode. The player controls the little red witch Ptolemy, whose magic wand can transform monsters into cake. Ptolemy has to defeat all the enemies of 100 single-screen stages before challenging the dragon Dracolisk for a magic crystal.
This game contains examples of:
- Ash Face: Ptolemy's face turns gray if she's hit by fire. As do enemies if Ptolemy has the shoot-fireballs power up.
- Big Red Devil: Named 'Horned', though not quite so big.
- Cap: 9,999,990 points is the counter stop.
- Cheat Code: The dip-switch settings include cheats for infinite lives and for invulnerability.
- Collision Damage: Though it's Ptolemy's main vulnerability, she doesn't die if she stays on her enemies' heads (until they jump, anyway) and can actually use them as means of transportation.
- Cute Witch: Ptolemy.
- Directionally Solid Platforms: Present in every stage.
- Dragon Rider: Ptolemy has her own dragon to ride between some intermediate stages.
- Every 10,000 Points: The game gives extra lives at 30,000 points, at 100,000 points, and every 100,000 points thereafter (on the lowest dip-switch setting; some machines can be less generous).
- Floating in a Bubble: When Ptolemy dies by running into an enemy, she gets swept away into a bubble.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: The only thing that hurts Ptolemy but doesn't kill her is the wizard's spell, which weakens her with the first hit.
- 1-Up: The Book of Life.
- Point of No Continues: The Arcade version is the Ur-Example of this trope.
- You must get past the first 7 Rounds before you can continue should you lose all your lives; but once you reach the final 3 Rounds, you can no longer do that!
- Shout-Out: The main character was likely named for the historical scientist Ptolemynote .
- Stalked by the Bell: The Big Red Devil will fly into the stage if Ptolemy takes too long to kill enemies. If there's only one enemy left, it's a different story.
- Unwinnable by Design: To get past level 95, you have to get shrunk by a wizard's spell on level 90 and stay shrunk until you get through the tiny gap on level 95. If you don't get shrunk, or you unshrink too soon, no amount of skill will get you to the end game.
- Visual Pun: This is a fairy-story game, and your shuts turn enemies into fairy cakes.