Terramex, also known as Cosmic Relief: Prof. Renegade to the Rescue, is a video game created by Shaun Hollingworth and Peter Harrap and originally released in 1987. It involves the search for Professor Albert Eyestrain, who predicted that a meteor would strike the Earth. Others laughed at him and he retreated into his laboratory in the mountains. Now, however, the meteor is nearing the Earth and only Professor Eyestrain can stop it. The player must pick one of five adventurers and find the professor.
This game provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The whole story - there is no intro or even an introductory text in the game.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Acid rain, dragons, snakes that pop up from the very rocks...
- Human Cannonball: One puzzle involves your character having to launch himself over a lake using a cannon, and having to select among three barrels of gunpowder that you're carryibg around at that point. Selecting the wrong barrel will cause you to either overshoot and die, or fall in the water and die.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: When you die, you get to see the meteor strike the earth.
- Multinational Team: Sort of. You get to choose among five incredibly stereotypical characters: the German Herr Krusche, the French Henri Beaucoup, the British Fortisque-Smithe, the American Big John Caine and the Chinese Wu Pong. However, you only control one of them during a playthrough, so they'll never actually work together.
- National Stereotypes: Each character has a single puzzle exclusive to them. It usually involves a national cliche, such as a cricket ball for the Brit, a beer barrel for the German, a camera flash for the Japanese, a horse for the American, and, oddly, a monocycle for the French.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Any hit by any danger will kill your character.
- Punny Name: Professor Eyestrain.
- Savage Piercings: At the bottom of the screen, your inventory items are depicted as being carried around by black tribesmen, with bones through their noses and all.
- Schrödinger's Player Character: Whichever character you select will be the sole character setting out on the quest - the others will never be seen or heard from again.