Tekken 7, also known as Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, is 3D fighting game that hit Arcades in 2015 before being ported over to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. It's the seventh mainline entry in the Tekken series. It is stated by Katsuhiro Harada to be the Grand Finale of that Mishima Zaibatsu Arc that's been ongoing since Tekken all the way back in 1994, though it's not the end of the series as a whole.
The game's playable roster includes:
- From Tekken: Kazuya, Paul, Law, Nina, Yoshimitsu, Jack-7, Lee/Violet, Heihachi
- From Tekken 3: Jin, Devil Jin, Hwoarang, Xiaoyu, King, Kuma, Panda, Eddy, Bryan
- From Tekken 4: Steve
- From Tekken 5: Asuka, Feng, Lili, Dragunov
- From Tekken 6: Leo, Miguel, Bob, Lars, Alisa
- Introduced in Tekken 7: Katarina, Claudio, Lucky Chloe, Shaheen, Kazumi, Josie, Gigas, Akuma, Master Raven
- From Tekken: Anna (Season 2)
- From Tekken 2: Lei (Season 2)
- From Tekken 3: Julia (Season 2)
- From Tekken 4: Marduk (Season 2)
- From Tekken 5: Armor King (Season 2)
- From Tekken Revolution: Eliza (Pre-Order Bonus)
- Guest Fighters: Geese (Season 1), Noctis (Season 1), Negan (Season 2)
Get ready for the next tropes:
- Book-Ends: The story mode starts with a younger Heihachi throwing an unconscious child Kazuya off a cliff, telling him to "Try again in the next life". The story ends with Kazuya throwing a dead Heihachi down a cliff, into lava, while citing that the strong survive and the weak die.
- The Bus Came Back: Anna, Armor King, Julia, Lei, and Marduk were initially cut from the game, but were readded in Season 2.
- Canon Immigrant: Akuma officially exists as part of the Tekken universe. This means that Tekken and Street Fighter share universes, or at least some version of the latter exists here.
- Climactic Volcano Backdrop: The setting of the Final Battle between Kazuya and Heihachi.
- Costume Evolution: All returning characters get a brand new costume. This is the first time this happened since Tekken 5 in 2004.
- Final Battle: Between Kazuya and Heihachi.
- Guest Fighter: The first since Gon back in '98 to feature them. Akuma, Geese, Noctis and Negan are among the roster, though the latter three are DLC.
- Killed Off for Real: Heihachi gets thrown into a volcano, and dies. For real.
- Limit Break: The biggest new addition to the gameplay is the Rage Art, allowing you to fill up meter for a massive attack.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Initially the plan was to tone it down, but instead it came back and then some. There are currently 46 characters planned, five more than Tekken 6.
- No-Sell: Power Crush lets you keep attacking without fail even as your opponent is hitting you. However, you still take damage.
- Put on a Bus: Baek, Bruce, Christie, Ganryu, Raven and Zafina all appeared in Tekken 6 and were cut here. Anna, Armor King, Julia, Lei, and Marduk were among them as well, but they came back later as DLC. It should be noted that the door is always open for the cut characters to return later.
- Role Reprisal: Jeffrey Dean Morgan reprises his legendary role of Negan in the game.
- Series Fauxnale: The end of the long-running Mishima Zaibatsu arc, but not the series as a whole.
- Weird Crossover: Considering the guests, the game mixes Tekken with Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Final Fantasy and The Walking Dead.