The Terrain of Magical Expertise video game is an upcoming Role-Playing Game adaptation of the webseries of the same name. Featuring a Turn-Based Combat system inspired by the likes of Super Mario RPG, it is the logical conclusion to a series set within a game world - though, unlike the game in the web show's story, it is not an MMORPG (being a simulated one instead, inspired by the .hack video games).
Set entirely in its own Canon, the TOME Video Game features different versions of characters from the web show, as well as a "White-Hat Hacker" Canon Foreigner Player Character that eventually joins them. It was successfully funded on Kickstarter in October 2017, and has been undergoing development ever since.
Chris Niosi has confirmed this will be the final incarnation of the TOME story ever produced, as he wants to move on from the TOME IP and work on other ideas. This marks the End of an Era that started in 2004, as Niosi has not worked on any other entirely original projects since the original TVTome Adventures series began.note Originally set to be released in 2020, the year it takes place, the game was pushed back by a year in order to ensure that it would be as good as it could possibly be.
Spoilers below for both Web Series! You have been warned.
This work provides examples of:
- Action Commands: In the same vein as the Trope Namer, the effectiveness of attacks and abilities in the demo can be enhanced by timed button presses.
- Adaptation Name Change: Many characters, similar to the name changes between TTA and TOME. While there are too many to list, some examples include: Gamecrazed to Gamesoft, Elescope to Thunderlinks, Tzuzuku to Sunlong, and more.
- Alternate Continuity: The game takes place in its own continuity, separate from either of the previous Webseries.
- Baleful Polymorph: In the demo, the Nature alignment grants its champions the ability to temporarily turn their foes into weak and practically harmless flowers.
- Blow You Away: In the demo, the Nature alignment has a good range of air spells.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: Much like the series, the demo has four elemental factions with the following interactions: mystical and icy Crystal extinguishes the demonic fires of the Infernal, but is often resisted by Technical beings that disbelief silly mysticism: Technical is in turn vulnerable to the power of Nature and barely scratches such enemies with their attacks; Nature is easily burned by the Infernal Flames. The player can also be Neutral, and avoid both the bonuses and the shortcomings of either alignment.
- Gender Flip: A good number of guys from the previous continuity have been changed into girls, including Rulerruby (Rubirules) and Sniperyda (Sniperwheel). Additionally, Gamecrazed is now more explicitly female, as opposed to disguising herself as male for most of the webseries.note
- Good Old Fisticuffs: The demo's Brawler characters specialize in bare-handed combat.
- Hand Blast: Flamegirl's Sun Gun and Sun Shotgun skills are animated in the demo as her pointing a finger at the enemy to fire a fireball (multiple fireballs for the Sun Shotgun) from it.
- Harmless Freezing: The demo explains that the ice magic of the Crystal-aligned characters can freeze their opponents solid for several turns.
- Magical Defibrillator: The demo has a magical skill called Defibrillators that consumes a hefty amount of MP, but will revive downed characters with 20% of their HP (60% if you manage to time your button press right.)
- Playing with Fire: The Infernal alignment is all about flame attacks in the demo, like the so-called Corona Cut.
- Shock and Awe: The demo's Technical characters have electrical attack abilities.
- Slime Girl: In the demo, Morphological character type are inorganic humanoid constructs consisting mostly of slime, so all the female characters of this type amount to this.
- Token Heroic Orc: The White Hat. Their background in the demo is that of a Hacker who uses their skills to benefit other players by keeping more malicious hackers at bay rather than wreak havoc. The synopsis states they're not the only one either.