Super Robot Wars 64 (Sūpā Robotto Taisen Rokujūyon) is a strategy role-playing game for the Nintendo 64
. Released in October 1999, this is the only entry for the Nintendo 64. Notorious for having loads and loads of stages, a rather complex branching system, and many original mecha the Shadow-Mirror
would base theirs off of (or outright use)
Series in Super Robot Wars 64 (Debuting entries are in bold)
Tropes that this game has
- Adapted Out: Despite Stardust Memory plot is still involved, both GP-01 and GP-01 FB are not in the game. Thus, leaving Kou Uraki pilots any Universal Century mecha before getting GP-03.
- Attack Drone: The Sazabi and Qubeley's Funnels, Geymalk's Macro Funnels, Nu Gundam's Fin Funnels, Rose Gundam's Rose Bits, Soldifar's Bit Gun and Ashcleef's Splash Breaker.
- Char Clone: The trope is taken to logical conclusion when Zechs works with Neo Zeon and Char Aznable to start the colony drop of Axis.
- Colony Drop: The Devil Gundam fuses with Axis to create Devil Axis, which threatens to crash into Earth.
- Combination Attack: The ability to unlock special attacks by placing specific units adjacent to each other is 64's major gameplay contribution to the series.
- Combining Mecha: Getter Robo, Zambot 3, GP-03 Dendrobium Orchis, Godmars, Dancougar, Simurgh Splendid, Super Earthgain, and Combattler V.
- Crapsack World: Earth was taken over by the Muge Zolbados Empire.
- Deadly Upgrade: Hyper Leprachaun and Hyper Galava.
- Demonic Invaders: The Mycenae Empire and 100 Demons Empire.
- Demoted to Extra: GoShogun, Zambot 3, Vigna Ghina, the F91 Gundam, EZ-8 Gundam, Apsalas II and their respective pilots are the only characters that show up from their respective series. Daitarn 3 at least gets its supporting characters.)
- Dual Wielding: The Simurgh Splendid and the Gundam Sandrock.
- Eldritch Abomination: Emperor Muge Zolbados.
- The Empire: Muge Empire and the Milky Way Empire.
- Enemy Civil War: Treize defects from the OZ/Titans alliance and creates his own faction. Drake, the Black Knight and Todd also defect from Byston Well.
- Extremity Extremist: Vyrose.
- Fairy Companion: Cham Hau.
- Feather Flechettes: The Simurgh and the Simurgh Splendid.
- Fish out of Water: According to Katz, Brad rarely goes outside of his training method, so he gets awkward in normal situations.
- Game-Breaking Bug: If the Player takes a real robot hero and chooses the Oz road, the player will be unable to use the Daitarn 3 for the remainder of the game. Good for the villains you gotta fight, bad for you because...well, you're a Super Robot short now and since Daitarn 3 is likely pertinent to the plot of 64, the game likely becomes Unwinnable as a result.
- Glass Cannon: Dunbine and Billbine.
- HeelFace Turn: Gale, Aina, Kyral Mekirel, Todd, Rose, Marg, Aina Sahalin, Elpe Puru, Puru 2, Mashmyre, Kyara, Rosamie, Four and Allenby if you meet the requirements to unlock them.
- FaceHeel Turn: Quattro Bajeena becomes Char Aznable and becomes leader of Neo Zeon during the game.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: The rival characters if you convince them and Anavel Gato in a certain route.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Musashi sacrifices himself to take down Avi Ru.
- Hot Wings: The Elblus.
- Karmic Death: Shapiro Keats gets one at the hands of the woman he used and abandoned.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: Dijeh SE-R to Gundam Mk-III if the player takes a certain route to Nu Gundam for Amuro. Getter Robo to Getter Robo G to Shin Getter Robo for the Getter Team. Svanhild to Rathgrith Custom. Soldifar to Ashcleef. Gundam mk-II to Zeta Gundam for Kamille.
- The Ojou: Relena Darlian/Peacecraft and Manami Hamill.
- Old Save Bonus: The player has access to theGoShogun, Zambot 3, Vigna Ghina and the F91 Gundam, provided they have played Super Robot Wars Link Battler.
- Physical God: Zul.
- Power Gives You Wings: Wing Zero Custom and the Simurgh Splendid.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: The Simurgh and Simurgh Splendid.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Brad and Katz.
- Sphere of Destruction: Stoner Sunshine and Bloody Howling.
- Sprite/Polygon Mix: In a first for the series, battle animations utilize fully-3D backdrops. However, mecha are still rendered using static 2D sprites.
- Spiritual Successor: The mecha in this game would be revamped into the Mecha from Super Robot Wars Advance.
- Transforming Mecha: Zeta Gundam, Ashcleef, Double Zeta Gundam, Getter Robo and Combattler V.
- Tyke-Bomb: Allenby, Puru, Four and Rosamia.
- Vichy Earth
- Villain Team-Up: The Titans decide to throw their lot in with the Organization of the Zodiac, while Neo Zeon allies itself with Prime Minister Wong.