Since it's based on a game compilation, it comes with four games, each with their own Excuse Plot:
- The Adventures of Vinyl and Octavia: Rescue Date (Super Mario Bros.): Garble the Dragon has captured the handsome male stallion Noteworthy. Vinyl Scratch (aka DJ-Pon 3) and Octavia have to travel through eight worlds to save him and go on a date.
- Vinyl & Octavia: Side B (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels): Garble is at it again, this time recapturing Noteworthy and going into a whole different land. The game is much harder.
- Pony Poki Panic (Super Mario Bros. 2): King Sombra has captured the world of dreams and is giving the ponies nightmares! Princess Twilight Sparkle enlists the help of Sunset Shimmer, the Great and Powerful Trixie, and Derpy Hooves to fight Sombra and his evil forces.
- Super Alicorn Sisters (Super Mario Bros. 3): Lord Tirek has teamed up with all of Equestria's most notorious villains to wreak havoc on the different Pony worlds. Princesses Celestia and Luna go on a mission to save the day.
The game can be downloaded here.
This fangame contains examples of:
- Covers Always Lie: The box art for Pony Poki Panic shows the playable characters in Super Mode forms reminiscent of Rainbow Power. You cannot change into Rainbow Power forms in the game.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Twilight Sparkle in Pony Poki Panic. Thanks to her wings, she can fly at will, but they also actually make her considerably slower than the others.
- Irony: Pony Poki Panic is a Game Mod of Super Mario Bros. 2, which famously is a mod of another game.
- Mythology Gag:
- Vinyl & Octavia: Side B is for the Famicom Disk System. The game it's based on was originally released in Japan for the FDS.
- A user by the name of herooftime1000 already made an NES version of Pony Poki Panic, with Unicorn Twilight Sparkle, Lyra Heartstrings, Trixie, and Princess Luna as playable characters (Twilight is Mario, Lyra is Luigi, Trixie is Toad, and Princess Luna is Peach). In this All-Stars version, Sunset Shimmer replaces Twilight as Mario, Derpy Hooves replaces Lyra as Luigi, Trixie reprises her role as Toad, and the Alicorn Princess Twilight replaces Luna as Peach. On the villainous side, King Sombra replaces Nightmare Moon as Wart.
- Pony Poki Panic features the pony form of Sunset Shimmer, which has not been seen since the very beginning of the first Equestria Girls movie.
- Trixie's shrunken form in Pony Poki Panic makes her lose her Wizard's Hat and cape. A reference to modern 3D Mario titles where the Mario Bros. would lose their hats when getting hit and shrinking.
- Power-Up Food:
- In Adventures of Vinyl and Octavia, Muffins replace Mushrooms. Of course, Muffins grow them to Super form.
- In Pony Poki Panic, Apples replace Mushrooms as the Heart Container items. They allow the Ponies to take an extra hit.
- Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism: Staying true to the Funny Animal style of the actual show, all of the pony characters in this game stand on their hind legs and actually run on them like humans.
- Wings Do Nothing:
- Zigzagged. Derpy Hooves in Pony Poki Panic, despite being a Pegasus, has wings but cannot fly, while Twilight Sparkle can. Instead, Derpy uses her wings to just jump very far instead.
- Celestia and Luna in Super Alicorn Sisters cannot fly with their wings either, instead requiring a raccoon tail to fly.