Super Marisa Land (or simply MarisaLa) is a 2005 Platform Game by Twilight Frontier, creators of Mega Mari and co-creators of Touhou Suimusou ~ Immaterial and Missing Power. Loosely based on Super Mario Bros., you play as Marisa, who goes on a search for golden mushrooms. That's... pretty much all there is to the story. In v1.10 and higher, you can also play as Alice, who has even less of a plot.
The game uses a system called "head proportions", by which Marisa's power can be measured. Collecting brown mushrooms increases them by one, to a maximum of four; red mushrooms, on the other hand, double them, for a maximum of eight. Alice, on the other hand, cannot progress beyond 2x head proportion. She gets the ability to throw Marisa dolls as projectile weapons to make up for this.
The official website for the game, and where the latest patch for the full game, can be found here.
See also New Super Marisa Land, a sequel to Super Marisa Land. Not to be confused with Super Marisa World, a Touhou-meets-Super Mario World by Double Cluster. 13 years later after the release of this game, Twilight Frontier went on to develop a remake Super Marisa Land, entitled MarisaLand Legacy, with updated visuals on par with its sequel, new co-op multiplayer features, and a set of extra "Hardmode" levels. An English-language version of the game can be purchased from DLsite's English webpage here.
This game contains examples of:
- Bottomless Pits: Par for the course of a Super Mario Bros.-like platformer.
- Continuing is Painful: If you quit to the title at any time, for any reason- say, because you want to take a break from playing- it will let you skip to the level you last completed. However, you cannot progress any farther than this, and must start all over again from the first level if you want to go further into the game.
- The Goomba: Fuzzies in the original and the standard fairies in the remake.
- Goomba Stomp: Like the Mario brothers, Marisa can defeat most of her enemies by jumping on top of them, and sometimes you can bounce off them to reach higher places.
- Invincibility Power-Up: 8x head proportion makes Marisa break through bricks and enemies. This only lasts for a short time, before she goes back to 4x.
- Law of 100: Collecting 255 point items will get you an extra life.
- Moe Stare: All of Marisa's forms do this, while Alice just looks sullen.
- New Game+: Being able to play as Alice.
- Poison Mushroom: In Alice mode, touching a brown or red mushroom will kill you.
- Power-Up: 3x head proportion lets Marisa take a hit before dying. 4x head proportion lets her break bricks by jumping into them from below. 6x head proportion lets her take another hit before dying, and allows her to shoot fireballs that go over White and Red Fuzzies, but are great for killing all other enemies. Each successive increase in head proportion also makes her taller, with a corresponding increase in the size of her hitbox. Have fun!
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: What the head proportions seem to be.
- Video Game Remake: MarisaLand Legacy is one to this game, which features higher resolution graphics with similar presentation to its sequel, a set of new levels for players to tackle along with a bonus set of "Hardmode" levels, and Co-Op Multiplayer up to four players.