Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron is a mobile spinoff of the Star Wars: Battlefront series. It was released on PSP and Nintendo DS in 2007.
The game features both single- and multiplayer modes, like its predecessors. As expected, it includes a single-player campaign, Instant Action, and Galactic Conquest. The main difference between this game and the originals is that everything is scaled down due to the limitations of the mobile devices it was played on. However, it also features the ability to customize the Player Character to look however the player wishes.
Renegade Squadron would itself be followed by another mobile game, entitled Elite Squadron in 2009.
Renegade Squadron features the following tropes:
- Awesome, but Impractical: Jedi and Sith heroes. Their lightsabers seem to have an effective range of about one centimetre, meaning that unless you can hit that exact spot, your only way of hitting something with it will be to throw the lightsaber at an opponent, which costs a lot of energy.
- Beyond the Impossible: The members of Renegade Squadron perform several feats which break Star Wars lore (and that was before the Disney buyout, to boot). The bosses of the campaign include IG-88, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader. Renegade Squadron not only wins the fights, but judging by what the outcome of the battles, physically killed all three.
- Bounty Hunter: Boba Fett and IG-88 are hired by the Empire to take out the Rebels, including Renegade Squadron.
- Character Customization: This game allows the player to customized the look of their character as well choose what weapons, equipment and stats they have based on a point system (referred to as credits) where each item has a price and the combined price cannot exceed 100 credits.
- Escort Mission: Common in the story mode.
- Stone Wall: Compared to the originals, combat is incredibly slow-paced. Both players and bots can take several hits before going down.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: What Renegade Squadron itself is, during the story campaign. Justified, since they were composed of smugglers and thieves that Han Solo recruited.
- It's Up to You: Several mission tasks can only be completed by the player.