Ripto has returned and is enacting a plan to have the rhynocs steal all the fireflies from the dragon realms, so the dragons will lose their ability to breathe fire. Aided by Sparx, Agent 9, and Sheila, and utilizing fire, ice, and lightning breath, Spyro sets out to save the fireflies and stop Ripto.
Not to be confused with Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!. This game was given its number because it was the second to appear on the Game Boy Advance.
This video game provides examples of:
- Cheesy Moon: The "Moon Fondue" level is comprised of green, cheese-like terrain and includes a race of mouse astronauts.
- Hub Level: Each realm can be reached from one of the 3 hub levels: Sunny Plains, Celestial Plains, or Starry Plains.
- An Ice Person: Due to Ripto stealing all of the Fireflies, Spyro and the other dragons can only spit ice breath. You can use this to freeze and capture fireflies.
- Idle Animation: Spyro starts stretching.
- Level Ate: The "Candy Lane" level.
- Mini-Game: After beating the game, you unlock a mini-game called "Dragon Draughts," which is a game of checkers against a dragon Elder.
- Mook Carryover: Rhynocs were originally the mooks of The Sorceress.