The premise of the story is that a Gem character (either a Ruby, Pearl or Quartz) has escaped from the Homeworld via a green escape pod; and with the help of the Crystal Gems, they must travel along various Earth locations to avoid being captured by the rest of the Homeworld Gems.
- Artistic License Geology: Rubies can be made colors other than red, and they aren't instead called Sapphires when that is the case.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Crystals can be used to buy clothes and hairstyles from the shops.
- Blade on a Stick: The Pearl's weapon.
- Book-Ends: The first song from the show encountered in the game is Steven's first bit of the show's extended intro song, in the second level of the first stage. Later, it comes back as the full extended intro in the second-to-last level of the final stage, as the last song from the show to appear.
- Character Customization: Creating either a Ruby, Pearl, or a Quartz will result in this.
- Palette Swap: Players can choose their character's color during customization.
- Platform Game: A side-scrolling rhythm game where hitting the beats at the right time causes the character to jump and avoid enemies.
- Rhythm Game: With remixed soundtracks from the show.
- Whip It Good: The Quartz's weapon.