Once the game begins, the gamblers must survive against a "devil" that will attempt to claim their souls as its own. To win, the gamblers must take part in a ritual to expel the devil and reclaim their souls.
Soul At Stake contains examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: In order to play, the gamblers must offer up their souls.
- All Witches Have Cats: A black cat appears and rides on Gran "The Witch"'s back whenever she transforms a gambler.
- Baleful Polymorph: Gran "The Witch" has the power to turn gamblers into cats for a short time. Gamblers take damage when they change back.
- Bear Trap: One of the "devil" cards allows a devil to place these on the ground.
- Big Bad: X'iE, the ghost who set up the game, and invented the phony Urban Legend to lure in gamblers and claim their souls.
- Black Cat: See All Witches Have Cats above, a black cats appears on her back.
- Cobwebs of Disuse: One of the screenshots shows a map with a liberal helping of cobwebs.
- Evil Old Folks: Gran "The Witch", is a devil in the game.
- Meganekko: Daisy "The Student" has a large pair... of glasses.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: "The Actor" has these.
- Shear Menace: Xiu "The Bride" attacks with a pair of scissors.
- Tears of Blood: The above-mentioned "Actor" has these.