Söldner-X is a series of two downloadable horizontal-scrolling Shoot Em Ups for the PlayStation 3. With the first game also on PC, and the second game now also on the PlayStation Vita. Developed by SideQuest Studios and published by eastasiasoft.
In Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer, humanity has been nearly overrun by a mysterious corruption that transforms all technology and organic material it comes into contact with. Their last hope is a lone mercenary issued with the Söldner-X prototype ship.
Set twenty years later, Söldner-X2: Final Prototype stars a new pilot fighting against the D'aarg empire, who threaten to conquer humanity with technology adapted from The Virus of the previous game. The game gives your pilot a choice of two new ships, plus the Söldner-X prototype as an unlockable third ship.
The series includes examples of:
- AFGNCAAP: The main character of the first game. Averted in the second game, where your pilot has a voice and a portrait.
- Asteroid Thicket: Stage 3 of the original game. Stage 1 of Söldner-X2.
- Attack Drone: Then can be found as temporary power-ups in both games.
- Battleship Raid: The second DLC stage of Söldner-X2 is one.
- Bullet Hell: Söldner-X2, on the higher difficulty levels.
- Damage Is Fire: In Söldner-X2, your ship leaves behind a trail of smoke when low on health.
- Deadly Walls: Stage 2 of the first game is full of them.
- Downloadable Content: Söldner-X2 got 3 extra stages released as DLC.
- Dynamic Difficulty: Söldner-X2 has a "Rank" system that adds more enemies and bullets as you do well, and removes them if you're doing badly.
- Go for the Eye: Whether organic or mechanical, you'll be shooting boss's eyes a lot in this series.
- Gratuitous German: The title. Mission control's calls in the first game.
- Limit Break: Limit attacks in Söldner-X2.
- Multiple Endings: The endings depend on how many stages you've unlocked with the Secret Keys.
- Nintendo Hard: The first game had to be patched to add an easier difficulty level.
- Overheating: Your weapons overheat if fired for too long in the first game, encouraging you to switch weapons often.
- Puzzle Boss: The stage 2 boss in Söldner-X can't be damaged by your weapons. You have to shoot the ceiling spikes in his room so that they fall on his exposed neck.
- Songs in the Key of Panic: The background music becomes more frantic when you're low on health.
- The Virus: Your enemy in the first game.
- Water Is Air: Stage 5 of Söldner-X2 takes place underwater. Your ship's movement and weapons are not affected in any way by this.