The game starts with a portable missle launch unit being stolen from the White House. The player plays as Socks to take on various enemies across multiple side-scrolling levels.
Developed by Realtime Associates and set to be published by Kemco, Socks the Cat Rocks The Hill was canceled prior to its planned release in Fall 1994. Review copies were known to exist, though none have made it into public hands. The game was considered lost for years until a prototype copy was eventually found. After years of various people refusing to release the prototype, it was released on cartridge via Kickstarter after the coding was cleaned up.
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Socks' markings aren't the same as the real Socks. His face is more simplified. The real Socks also had yellow eyes, not green eyes.
- Artistic License Animal Care: One of the items in the game is a saucer of milk. Despite popular belief, cats are lactose intolerant.
- Cats Have Nine Lives: Socks starts off with nine lives.
- Does Not Like Spam: George H. W. Bush shows up as a boss shooting broccoli from his finger, a food he famously hated.
- Funny Animal: Socks is a bipedal cat who can use his forepaws as hands. He can't talk, though.
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: Socks is a bipedal cat and there are giant rats with clothes, but neither are treated of particular note.
- Stock Animal Diet: Items include fish and saucers of milk.
- You Dirty Rat!: A common enemy is a humanoid rat.