Snapimals is a mobile Simulation Game created by BebopBee Inc. It was released in 2016. The game opens with an article of a fictional newspaper, The Island Gazette, which announces that a famous Captain has reappeared after spending 20 years in the wilderness. He takes you to a remote island, where he proclaims his goal to build a museum of animal photos, and he hires you as his apprentice to help him take the photos!
There are 2 aspects of gameplay: one gives you a top-down view on four islands: The Wilds, the Hub, the Frost world, and the Dino world. You start out on the Wilds, but as you build and upgrade your museum, as well as other things like your ticket booths and docks, you will eventually get to expand your territory to discover new worlds and animals.
The other part of gameplay is the journeying. Here, the player gets a first-person view with their camera as they explore each level and take photos of the animals there. The goal is to get pictures of animals doing certain poses or actions - these are called "Captain's Pics", and they are the photos that the Captain displays in his museum. If you take a photo of an animal that isn't doing a Captain's Pic pose, it will instead be sold as a Postcard Pic, giving you a little extra money. At the end of each journey, there is a section where the player chooses 3 out of the 5 max photos they took for the Captain to grade in a segment called "Picture Scoring with the Captain".
Snapimals contains examples of:
- Attack! Attack... Retreat! Retreat!: You can find a cheetah chasing a dik-dik. You can also find a dik-dik chasing a cheetah. Downplayed, however, as the descriptions for these events state that the animals are only playing.
- Black Bead Eyes: Almost every character and animal has these, to fit the game's cutesy art style.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: You can purchase jewels, which are used in-game to either purchase other resources, or instantly finish upgrading a building. Although jewels can be earned in-game (such as by completing certain achievements), you'll usually only get one or two.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The captain is only referred to as "The Captain".
- Gameplay Grading: At the end of each journey, the Captain scores the photos you took based on Size, Spot, and Angle, on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Genial Giraffe: Giraffes are among the many friendly animals found in the game. They can often be seen strutting around cheerfully, giving animals rides, or even letting cheetahs do high dives from their heads!
- No Antagonist: Aside from the animals that move quickly or hide well, making it a little hard to take photos of them, there are no villainous characters, so you can just relax, take animal photos, and build your museums!
- Seldom-Seen Species: Among the creatures found in the game are dik-diks, lovebirds, and plover birds.