Horizontal blocks of various sizes and colors drop from the top of the screen, and your job as the player is to destroy them by completing a horizontal row (Tetris-style). You do this by sliding (slyding?) the blocks left and right. More blocks drop down, so you have to stay on your toes to keep the stack from reaching the top.
There are three game modes:
- Infinite, a slow-paced and cerebral mode in which you can only slide one block at a time, and each time you do, another row drops down. However, you're given unlimited time to think about each move you make.
- Survival, in which several rows of blocks drop down every ten seconds, for those players who prefer a more hectic pace.
- Zen, an easier "Practice Mode" version of Infinite.
Slydris contains examples of:
- Endless Game: You keep going until you end up with blocks on the top row of the screen, at which point the game is over.
- Falling Blocks: It is inspired by Tetris, so this is natural.
- Inspiration Nod: As a nod to Tetris, there are three music tracks, labeled A, B, and C.
- Limit Break: Every 50 lines you clear gives you a bomb that can instantly clear any group of three lines.
- Portmantitle: Slide + Tetris
- Scoring Points: Complete with online leaderboards.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: As stated above, the title combines the words slide and Tetris, but the I in slide is replaced with a y.