Shinsekai: Into the Depths is a 2D Metroidvania game developed by Capcom and originally released on September 19, 2019 for iOS as a launch title for Apple Arcade with a Nintendo Switch version releasing on March 26, 2020. Uniquely the game take place entirely underwater so along with the usual Metroidvania elements of exploration and combat, the Aquanaut must also take the time to manage their ability to breathe underwater and also not succumb to the undersea pressure.
Shinsekai: Into the Depths contains examples of
- After the End: The game takes place in the distant future after climate change caused a large frost to swallow up the surface world.
- Awesome Underwater World: The game is full of Sea Monsters, underwater ruins of a previous age and puzzling mechanisms. The underwater world is a place of mystery and danger.
- Harpoon Gun: The Aquanaut starts off with a rapid-fire speargun which is often his most practical and damaging weapon in his arsenal.
- No Name Given: The Aquanaut does not have a name given, and for that matter also does not have a gender given either.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Averted. One of the game's central elements at all times is to manage the Aquanaut's resources including their air supply. If their air supply runs out the Aquanaut will take damage until they drown.