Shaw's Nightmare is a freeware Retraux First-Person Shooter for DOS and Windows PCs. It is about a little boy named Shaw, who fell asleep and began to have a nightmare. He must find his way out of the bizarre world, fighting strange creatures along the way.
The game is inspired by the original Doom, and is built using the Build Engine. It consists of four episodes each with nine levels, and was first released in 2013. It also received a Mission-Pack Sequel named Shaw's Nightmare II in 2016.
This game provides examples of:
- 100% Completion: When you exit an level, you will see a stats screen showing how many enemies you've killed and how many secrets you have found. The screen also indicates whether you have found the super secret for that level.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: All of the final bosses except the fourth episode.
- Angry Guard Dog: One of the enemies in the games.
- Big Bad: Clement.
- Co-Dragons: Kali in episode 1, Kinene in episode 2 and Big Chui in episode 3.
- Enfant Terrible: One of the enemies you meet in this game.
- Expressive Health Bar: The status bar displays Shaw's relative status. At full health, he looks confident. When his health gets low, he looks sickly. When he dies, he becomes a skeleton.
- Giant Foot of Stomping: The second episode's final boss has this as a primary attack.
- Giant Woman: Kali and Kinene.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: There is food in the game which will restore your health.
- Invincibility Power-Up: The blue orbs with two rings will protect you from damage.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: "This Dream Is Easy", "Not So Scary!", "Dews of God", "Ultra-Frightening" and "SUPER NIGHTMARE!"
- Locked Door: They are usually indicated with coloured walls on the side of the door.
- Made of Explodium: Be careful when firing hen grenades as they explode upon hitting something or you may get hurt. Yes, the hen grenades explode upon impact.
- Mission-Pack Sequel: Shaw's Nightmare II.
- Level-Map Display: There are two versions, the wireframe mode and the textured mode.
- Respawning Enemies: Enemies respawn after some time as part of the hardest difficulty level.
- Speedrun: There is one for this game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/42414560
- Visible Invisibility: Some dogs and Shaw himself if he picks up the invisibility cloak are rendered transparent.